1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which celebrity's death made you cry - or at least sad?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, I'll go first.

Huell Howser
    Whitney Houston
    Mitchell Guist (Swamp People)
  2. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

John Ritter
    Keith Moon/John Entwistle (although at different times)
    George Harrison

[​IMG]
  3. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

George Carlin
  4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Good call with John Ritter, if only because it seemed so sudden and random. Bernie Mac was one for me. Not sure why, but he always seemed like a good spirit to me.
  5. Tomkat8

Tomkat8 Supporting Member

Paul walker.. Way too young.
  6. bassie12

bassie12

John Lennon. George Harrison.
  7. mellowinman

mellowinman

Nothing ever devastated me like John Lennon.

I was 17, and I still feel the pain.
  8. pica

pica

Jim Henson, Rick Danko
  9. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Stevie Ray Vaughn
  10. Zootsuitbass

Zootsuitbass

Phil Hartman

Only because of how he died
  11. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

Adam Yauch
  12. Basshappi

Basshappi

Stevie Ray Vaughn
  13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Walter Payton and Kirby Puckett.

-Mike
  14. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Reading about Jeff Buckley made me sad.

When Johnny Cash died I was less sad and more "wow, he really lived an incredible life."
  15. Jah Wobble Fan

Jah Wobble Fan

Cried the day Charles Bukowski died. Only met him a couple times in passing, but
    really felt I knew him through the writing.
  16. dullsilver_mike

dullsilver_mike Supporting Member

As soon as someone is famous enough to function as a conversation subject, I become incapable of seeing that individual as a person and only recognize them as a symbol or brand.

Of course there's a real life human being behind them, but If I'm not personally familiar with that person, he/she's not real to me and a completely different entity than the celebrity persona. As such, I'm sadly incapable (no matter how much good he/she did) of caring when someone famous dies. It's like a logo or a sales slogan died.
  17. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

None ever made me cry. But i was saddened when Paul Newman and Kurt Vonnegut passed away. They were both advanced in age (well past 80) so it's not like it was a surprise (though for Vonnegut who fell down a flgiht of stairs, it was more of an unexpected death) but I was sad that i would never get to see Newman in anything else (since he kept appearing in things here and there every few years, needless to say he's one of my favorite actor ever and he was also a great person) or read anything new by Vonnegut.
  18. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I can understand that. For me honestly while i CAN feel empathy for the death of a stranger (especially when the circumstances are particularly tragic or sad), even if its a stranger i like (meaning by that obviously a celebrity) i can't be much more than very mildly saddened by their death. I definitely don't think i like any celebrity enough to cry over their death. That being said, I cry fairly easily at movies so go figure........
  19. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Last week an acquaintance of mine was killed in an argument with a bar owner. That made me sad. He was a celebrity in some circles. Wayne Mills. Didn't know him well, but he was the real deal.
  20. blue4

blue4

It's the same to me. The only time I've ever felt an emotion beyond surprise was when the author Robert Jordan died. I had been reading his epic series since high school, and I was kind of dumbfounded at the thought of wasting over a decade on a book series. I had to remind myself that he was an actual person who had died.