Which combo amp for a non-gigging bass player?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DannyBob, Jan 18, 2014.

Which combo amp for a non-gigging bass player?

1. Orange Crush PiX 100BXT - 100w

13 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. Ibanez P3115 Promethean - 300w

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. Peavey Tour TKO - 400w

6 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. TC Electronic BG250-115 MKII - 250w

38 vote(s)
    26.2%
  5. Gallien Krueger MB115 - 200w

55 vote(s)
    37.9%
  6. Other (please comment below, thanks)

28 vote(s)
    19.3%
  1. DannyBob

DannyBob

So, here I am after about a year of searching for the best bass combo amp for my needs, and narrowed it down to 5 (but I am open to suggestions!)

I wouldn't need the amp for gigging in a band, as I am not currently in one, and if I ever play live everything would be miked up anyway. After going for POWER POWER POWER at the start of my search, I realised that, because of the fact it would hardly ever be gigged with, I didn't need as much as I first thought (500w minimum). I just want a nice amp for practise that is more about the sound than the power. I have around £350-400 ($575-$655) to spend, and ideally don't want to spend much more than that - I'm 16 y/o. Oh, and I play mainly rock/metal, but also pretty much every other genre as well haha. Anyway, bring on the amps!

1) Orange Crush PiX 100 - Weakest of the amps at 100w, but comes with THAT tone. You know the one, I don't have to explain it, it's by Orange haha.

2) Ibanez P3115 Promethean - 300w, and I know Ibanez basses as I use an SR, but don't know about the quality of their amps...

3) Peavey Tour TKO 400w - The most powerful of the lot at 400w, and I know that Peavey are meant to be good. Just hope that power isn't everything with this.

4) TC Electronic BG250-115 MKII - 250w, very light, and I have heard some brilliant reviews about this thing.

5) Gallien Krueger MB115 - 200w, heard mixed reviews about them, so not really sure, but I have heard LOTS about the GK name.

Any comments are welcome, and thank you in advance :)

2. amir93smith

amir93smith

I would recommend and ashdown mag or electric blue amps (hell and ashdown amp) another idea (but not combo) would be either the ashdown pi bass or their mi bass (older version) depending on your needs but i would lean towards the pi bass since it's cheaper (new price at approx £250)...both those heads small (pi bass smaller n lighter but only has 1 speaker out) also both have head phone jacks

3. DannyBob

DannyBob

I've looked at Ashdown, and in the past I have had some bad experiences with them :( and a head and cab is not really what I want, just a big combo :smug:

But thanks anyway! :)

Plus, the price means that there won't be much money left for a cabinet in my very strict price limit

4. amir93smith

amir93smith

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. amir93smith

amir93smith

ah really :/ i've never had anything go wrong with my ashdowns...from their heads, to combos to cabs (btw sorry for posting links after u replied...didn't see the reply)

7. DannyBob

DannyBob

It's fine :) and yeah, I knew someone who has had two and both times the eq/clever electronic stuff inside just went and didn't affect the tone at all any more

8. Goldmember

Goldmember

Although not gold, I voted for the BG250, since I own that amp.

9. DannyBob

DannyBob

So far looks life it is between the GK and the TC Electronic...hmmm

10. middy

middy

No Ampeg combos in there. I would give one a try before you decide on something else.

11. DannyBob

DannyBob

Well which one would you recommend for £350-400 ($575-$655)?

12. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Are you dead-set on the idea of a combo?

Why not get a GK MB200 head that you could pair with any size cab? I keep a home-made 1x10 by my sofa and a 2x10 Genz-Benz cab in my "music room". I later added a Tech21 VT pedal to dial in that nice tubey warmth. The little 2LB head has a DI out so you can plug into the FOH when the opportunity arises.

It's an excellent headphone amp, too.

13. DannyBob

DannyBob

I haven't ruled it out, I just thought a combo would be easier for transport and what not :) but like I said, I am open to ALL suggestions

14. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
    I voted for the GK.
    I'm actually surprised how many seem to be fans of the TC.
    I've checked out a couple of their offerings and thought they all sounded "plastic".

15. Linnin

Linnin

Be sure to audition a Fender Rumble at your music store. There is a model for every need. Since it appears that you prefer 15" woofers, the current Rumble 150 1x15 combo is an excellent choice. A newly revamped Rumble line will soon be released and available sometime in Feb. with a retro silver-faced Bassman look. There will be a Rumble 200 1x15 combo. These are very reliable gig worthy amps that will fullfil all your needs. Excellent tone for days. If you've not played through one prepare to be both pleasently surprised and impressed. :)

Even though you are in the UK, you can still peek at them here. Scroll to the bottom. http://www.zzounds.com/prodsearch?pa=30&cat=2394&cat2=3074&ob=pop&rl=&rh=&instock=0&blowouts=0&filter=see+results&q=&form=search

16. DannyBob

DannyBob

I might try the Rumble 200 1x15 when it comes out...or mainly comes out here over the pond haha

17. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

I've mounted the MB200 on a board large enough to hold the VT pedal (since I'm always using them together, anyway). It all transports in a medium-sized equipment bag with a shoulder strap.

18. DannyBob

DannyBob

Can you recommend any cabinets to go with this? :) Thanks

19. eban3

eban3 Supporting Member

I've got an Ibanez p3115 , love it ,its got amazing cahones for what it is and it has the added featuere of having a head that detaches and can be used as a standalone head ,though i understand these are no longer being made

20. Linnin

Linnin

Fender's stellar reputation and international availability makes the Rumble line very attractive.

21. Turtle71

Turtle71 Supporting Member

I voted for the GK, plus if you want to add on sometime down the road, you could pick up a 115MBP to go with it.