1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which DI for my direct/IEM board?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by SteveC, Nov 12, 2012.

1. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Hey all. We're going IEM at church. I have everything for my little IEM/DI board except the DI.

I'm using a Boss TU-2, a Rolls PM50 amp and Yamaha EPH 50 ear buds. Not super high end but does the job.

Anyway, I'm playing a passive Geddy Lee these days and am wondering if I need to have an active DI. The cable runs aren't very long.

Thoughts?
  2. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

your PM 50 is a DI...

MXR M80 is a durable and affordable di
  3. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Line 6 pods are very well represented in the church circles... so are zoom b2
  4. dDaddybass

dDaddybass Supporting Member

Radial J48. I run a JDI and love it. The rule of thumb with D.I's, passive bass=active box, active bass= passive box.
  5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I'm not looking for effects and pres - at least not at this time. Just a DI.
  6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I was thinking J48...
  7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Countryman Type 85 or the J48 would be a great option. I'd go for the Countryman personally. I've got one and it sounds great. It can take phantom power or a battery, I believe the J48 is phantom only.
  8. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I agree with this 100% - the J48 and Countryman are both great active DIs, but the 9v option was the deciding factor for me - I use my DI as a "backup amp", and didn't want to be dependant on phantom power if I needed to press it into service... If you shop around, a used Countryman 85 can be had for around $100 - it's tough to spend better money than that as a gigging bassist, IMO...

Lastly - I used a JDI quite a bit for over a year, and switched to active DIs because the JDI didn't work as well with a couple of my passive Fenders - the Countryman works great with my passives and actives...

- georgestrings
  9. TimmyP

TimmyP

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Although I feel the J48 and JDI are industry standards for good reason, I'm less than impressed with the Pro48 or ProDI - IMO/IME, those aren't any better than DIs by Whirlwind, Rapco, EWI, or even Behringer - and not worth the additional cost... I'll take my used Countryman 85 for $100 over a Pro48 for nearly the same money, every time...

- georgestrings
  11. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Opinion - if you're playing churches

1- don't rely on having a supplied phantom power

2-some type of tone/eq etc is really helpful as the rooms are commonly lacking acoustic treatment
  12. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I play at one church. There is phantom power on all boards.

Do I need more EQ than what is available on the board?
  13. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

If you play at other churches they may not have (or know about) phantom power

eq----- yes ..... I can't tell you the number of times I've had my bass turned down on my bass .... And still asked to turn down
  14. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Eq.... Churches have notoriously bad acoustic treatments .... Commonly they're tuned to a natural male voice ---a bass will conflict with this
  15. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

So I played at church and a "corporate" gig yesterday. Used the wired IEM System of Boss TU-2, Rolls PM50 and Yamaha EPH50 single driver buds. Sounded pretty darn good. Better at the corporate gig - had a better board and a better (Radial JDI) DI as well.

The experience with the better board (PreSonus which we will have at church - my main gig - soon) and DI got me thinking I shouldn't skimp on my DI. I was thinking of a Radial JDI or J48, but after using a JDI with my passive Geddy with great results, I'm thinking I could go JDI without worry.

I was originally thinking of using a small board that would have my Tuner, Rolls and DI all wired up/powered up ready to go so I'd just have to plug in the DI out, Monitor In, my bass and earphones and be ready to go in 2 minutes.

Now, I have also liked using an Avalon U5. It's big and not travel friendly, but I really only play at church so it's not in the band van getting roughed up. A little board would be easier and more convenient, but if I'm using IEM I want to get the best sound I can to my ears. I also want to get as good a sound as possible sent to the FOH.

Any ideas how I could use the Avalon but in a convenient way like a small pedal board? I know it's not possible, but thought I'd ask.
  16. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I could also use my Shuttle 3.0 head as a DI. Would fit on a board as well.
  17. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Radial JDI is my favorite at this point. Still debating an Avalon U5 but think convenience and small size/weight will win the day.
  18. nick98338

nick98338

I'll recommend what I use → → → → → → → → → → → → → ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
  19. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Gonna try a JDI for a series of gigs the weekend to be sure, but I think I'm going with one for my little IEM board.
  20. newbold

newbold

my eden WTDI needs its own power but its compressor is great to work like a speaker and you can eq it to your delight.

or not and run it as a buffered/active DI.

i like mine a lot.