1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which DR for my Stingray

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rolleharris, Jan 23, 2013.

1. rolleharris

rolleharris

Have never tried DR strings before and now its the time. Going into the studio next week to record with a metalband. I have been using Daddario for years. I am thinking about Loriders. Anyone got any other suggestions?
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

I've never been a fan. I've tried lowriders, hibeams, black beauties....Never liked the finger feel on any of them. And they're not exactly cheap. I've never had a set of D'Addarios I didn't like.
  3. dalo320

dalo320 Supporting Member

I use Nickel Low Riders on my Stingray and love the sound. I play funk though, so I dunno about what would work best for metal.
  4. rolleharris

rolleharris

Tnks fpr the replies. I have tried Prosteels before so maybe SS Lo Riders?
  5. MoeGJBeener

MoeGJBeener Supporting Member

If you're recording a metal album, get Ernie Ball Cobalts. I have them on both of my stingrays and they CUT through the mix. Much better than DR fat beams, hi beams, or low riders that ive tried in the past
  6. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

The go to string on my rays is Dr Black Beauties. They tame the top end sizzle of the ray without losing clarity punch or low end.
  7. CElton

CElton Supporting Member

Fat Beams sounded great on my SR4 and SR5.
  8. MoeGJBeener

I disagree on a SR5. The B string in DR sets are tapered too long at the top so the thick of the B ends up winding around the post leaving it kinda dull.
  9. woody357

woody357

No DRs on a MM, stick with Ernie Ball Slinkys
  10. lijazz

lijazz

Funny thing: I actually switched from SS Lo-Riders to Pro Steels, and so far I am loving them. Both great strings. The SS LRs have more mids. If you liked the Pro Steels, then the Lo Ridrs would be a logical choice.
  11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    What DRs are best for metal? Hmmm...

If ya never used em before I'd suggest sticking with dadarrios. I went from them to DRs and hated the DRs. There's a big difference with some of them, especially the black beauties. I got a great amazon deal on some sunbeams and don't hate them, but I don't think they're what everyone on TB makes them out to be. I'd never buy em for the retail price. I like dadarrios more.
  12. rjhilliard

rjhilliard Guest

I use Sunbeams and I am very happy with the way they sound on my SR5
  13. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Been using Hi Beams on Stingrays for 10+ years and love them. I have tried other DR strings, but came back to Hi Beams. They feel and sound the best to me.
  14. Mtnman

Mtnman

On my MM, I use Black Beauties. Love the sound. FWIW, I aim for a classic hard rock sound...
  15. woody357

woody357

I've tried most of the DR strings on my Bongo, but always come back to the Slinkys! They just make my bass sound great to me! I tries to like the DR strings but they just didn't do it for me!!
  16. liveburning274

liveburning274

I am loving my DR Nickle Lo-Riders on my Sterling right now...they have mellowed out to such a great feeling and sounding string after some good quality playing time.
  17. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

i use sunbeams on all my basses
    right tension
    right gauge
    right amount of brightness for me
    for metal i would try the EB cobalts-very bright, metallic
  18. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

I've played low riders and hi beams on a stingray for metal. They both sounded great. Hi beams are def brighter, though.
  19. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

I would think that too short a taper would cause the thick part of the B to wrap?
  20. MoeGJBeener

What he said! Get Ernie ball SS's or Cobalts