which driver

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by djj, Mar 28, 2014.

1. djj

djj

this is my first post so please excuse any faux pas.I have an Epifani ul112 that i drive with a GenzBenz shuttle 6.2 (guitars are Spector and Musicman 5 strings),and would like to build a second cabinet for larger venues.The speaker in the Epifani is a proprietary unit built by Eminence.I have narrowed the choice down to the Eminence Deltalite ii 2512,the Eminence kappalite 3012 LF or 3012HO.I considered a Fearful sub using the 3012LF,but think emulating the Epifani box might be a better match.Opinions and suggestions please.

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It might be easier/cheaper/better results to just buy a second matching cabinet.

3. djj

djj

I have materials left over from another build,so cost would just be for driver and a few pieces of hardware. New cab. would be double the cost.

4. StraightSix

StraightSix

Get an identical replacement 12" driver from Epifani and build the cab to the same specs as your existing UL112.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

You will have no idea how some cab you cook up will pair with your existing cab though. Could be ok. Could sound like dog turds in a wet paper bag.

If you like the sound of your current cab, a matching one will give you more of what you like. Any other cab pairing is an unknown quantity, so unless you actually go out and try the two cabs together, its a crap shoot.

7. djj

djj

I agree you never know what you're going to get until the projects finished.Even buying a stock driver off Epifani I'm not likely to get a perfect match,but this project is a compromise due to cost constraints.Best scenario would be a new Epifani,but their products are very expensive and hard to find here in Canada.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Yes, out in the wilderness of Canada it's hard to find good equipment - NOT!

If you build a cabinet that is identical to the one you have and install an identical driver to the one you have it should sound that same. OK I can take a breath now!! :)

If you love the cabinet that you now own, an identical cabinet is always the best way to go.