1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Which effects (if you use any) do you use most and why?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ironderby, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Ironderby

Ironderby

Bit of an open question, just feeling a little bored at the moment TB :p

2. Plays_For_Dog

Plays_For_Dog

Over drive, then fuzz, then Envelope Filter.

OD to really drive the riff. Fuzz to melt faces. EF to fatten it up and/or funk it out.

I have or have had a lot of effects pedals that do all kinds of wierd modulation, delay, tremelo, etc; however the three listed above are constants on my board.

3. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    I guess that would be my Swell B-TOD which will be flipped for a Swell B-DRIVE when it gets back. So a tube/overdrive is my answer. I have a SS rig and a Status bass.....I love that clean prestine sound....but half the stuff we play needs to be dirtied up and that pedal gives me a groovy/gritty tube sound...and then heavy OD if I need it.

I have other pedals that are more fun....but this one is a need, to me.

4. tink9975

tink9975 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I almost always have my Submarine and Effectrode PC-2A on, and my Bad Monkey is on about 75% of the time.

The Effectrode gives me a good bit of tube warmth, the Submarine brings some more definition to the mids and highs, and the Bad monkey gives me some grit.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

I tend to use my chorus quite often. Besides that one, I use my EP-2 a lot.

7. Sixpack324

Sixpack324

Compression.......

EQ......

Nothing else. Maybe I'm lucky, but I can get a sound that not only fits my band's sound but I actually love without adding anything else to the signal.

Believe it or not, I use an old BOSS GT-3 guitar processor for my bass for a couple of reasons:

I already had it, so nothing new to buy...

Built-in tuner with editable by-pass...

L O V E the compressor....Very editable and makes my sound happen...

The EQ just seems to work for me and my bass. Not too many editable parameters (which can get confusing) and not too few.

Volume pedal..

On the very, very odd occasion that I want to add O.D or Fuzz, I have a ridiculous amount of editable overdrives, cabinet simulators and pre-amp setting to choose from and edit to my taste.

8. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future Gold Supporting Member

X-over chorus.
    Polyphonic distortion/OD and octaver.
    HPF Sweep.

9. insomniac2295

insomniac2295

overdrive, fuzz, delay

10. Zoa

Zoa

Always on- VT Bass, peak limiter.

Occasionally: envelope filter, fuzz, chorus in that order.

11. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Attitude bass - 2 outputs.

P pickup into eq to dial out low end (always on), into compression - always on (fast attack, low thresh, med ratio), into overdrive (nearly always on) (light grit for some vintage growl) and switchable distortion for a smooth guitar like tone.

Neck woofer pickup into compression - always on (slow attack, high thresh and high ratio, 25 clean blend).

Both into LS-2 to mix (always on, obviously) into tuner, into amp.

I'm currently experimenting with a fuzz at the end of the chain and an octaver (bass synth wah pedal) at start of woofer chain to get some modern Muse type tones. May make it to the pedal board full time.

12. alec

alec

Overdrive mostly - B3K, QF2 or VT Bass.
    I've got a chorus and maybe phaser coming soon. I'll see how they go.

13. theretheyare

theretheyare

Digitech Whammy. Everything else (currently Pigtronix Philosopher King, BBE Mind Bender, Rocktron reverb) revolves around it.

14. Corey Y

Corey Y Supporting Member

I use fuzz and overdrive most often. I tend to use the OD as sort of a safety net, in case for some reason I'm not using my own amp or I have to play at lower volume and can't get the growl I want from going straight into the amp.

15. keiththebassist

keiththebassist

I use the Boss ODB-3 quite often But am trying to get my hands on a B3K

After that an octave pedal to keep those higher strings chunky.

Some Chorus

Compression (very light)

16. PimasterPearson

PimasterPearson

I use light overdrive (Sansamp DI) on about half of my band's tunes just to give it some bite. Other than that, I'll occasionally combine chorus, delay and a volume pedal to add "orchestral swells" to our slower songs.

17. tdub0199

tdub0199

VT Bass Deluxe...

18. RockBoddham

RockBoddham

I use a Yamaha FX-550 guitar effects processor from the early '90s. It has a couple a bass presets that are pretty good. I tweaked one of the patches, and I get a little EQ, reverb and compression.

19. JP Morin

JP Morin

a sansamp prog bdi +
    boss LS2 (2 channels mixed: one channel clean (to keep the snap and the lows) and the other has a low-overdrive setted turbo rat+eq(to cut some lows)) I like round clean lows with edgy-dirty top end...
    these 2 are always ON...
    I plug a delay after all and an other dist. between the sansamp and the boss LS2...

I love my sansamp and I'd like to give a try, to plug a B3K some day to replace the boss LS2 and turbo rat... I like the sound on the reviews...

20. bassbrad

bassbrad

The Akai UniBass is the pedal that get the most hits, to fill up a line, punch out a solo or melody, to get a faux 8 string sound. Often it is used in combination with other pedals fuzz, envelope or chorus.

21. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

xotic RC Bass Booster always on... oh and a Yamaha NE-1...