1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which envelope filter to use with fuzz to produce dirty synth sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by goran, Feb 6, 2014.

1. goran

goran

I guess, I could get really close with fuzz + filter. The filter needs to have sweep up/down, decay and frequency. I love the sounds I get from Korg G5, but it's unfortunately too big for my pedalboard.

If you wanted to emulate synth with fuzz+envelope, and you already have a Woolly Mammoth fuzz, which envelope filter would you choose?

Thanks!
  2. Swift713

Swift713

The Qtron is my favorite stand alone envelope filter but there's a couple I'd really like to try. The IE Xerograph Deluxe and the Moog are popular for synthy stuff and have expression pedal jacks.
  3. erigod23

erigod23

Any would work, really. I use the Source Audio BEF Pro and the MXR BEF.
  4. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Check out the Source Audio Manta, it even has some fuzz/distortion built in. I have some synthy sound clips of it on my page linked in my sig below.
  5. Lebowsky

Lebowsky w00t? Supporting Member

IE Xerograph Deluxe no question. Moog as well, but I guess it's too big for your board too
  6. groooooove

groooooove

any with an effects loop would work perfectly.

any good one at all will work very well.
  7. Phagor

Phagor

3 Leaf Groove Regulator 2 and Wonderlove have an effect loop for the fuzz - makes a big difference, the synth effect is much more 'velocity sensitive'.

The IE Xero Deluxe is an awesome synthy filter, I love it with my expression pedal. But it doesn't give me as much control over the envelope as the GR2.
  8. goran

goran

Source Audio just isn't for me. I've had Bass Envelope Filter Pro & Multiwave Bass Distortion Pro and I just couldn't get bonded to them.
    I love the "full hardware" simplicity in pedals. But, Gastric, I do admit that clips you have on your page sound fantastic.

So far, IE Xerograph Deluxe I like the most. I wish it wasn't so expensive (I'm looking at at least $300 after shiping and customs fees).
    EDIT: 3 Leaf Groove Regulator 2 looks lovely too!! :)
    EDIT 2: Wonderlove is great!! :)
  9. BobaMosfett

BobaMosfett

3leaf Groove Regulator works for me! I have used it many times with a Zvex Mastotron (similar to the Woolly Mammoth, I believe) in the effects loop. This way the dynamics of you playing trigger the filter, instead of the compressed fuzz tone.

The later versions (GR2, Wonderlove) even let you use the pedals in the effect loop while the filter is off.
  10. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I did not personally find the Xerograph's envelope functionality to be usable, it just wasn't responsive enough and was hard to get the settings to sound like I wanted them to. Though it's awesome for manual sweeps.

If you have the Korg G5 what you'll notice is it's extremely responsive to dynamics, and it has a good retriggering aspect since it's not really pitch tracking. It's just really easy to play. Sounds even better with a BOSS OC-2 in front. I have a Korg G5 page with some sound samples for that box, too.

Once you start trying to layer fuzz > filter you lose a lot of that ability, natural feel, and most importantly retriggering.

So think about the retriggering if you plan on playing particularly fast notes and you don't want the filter to stick open but instead open-then-close on each and every note. I'm always wanting to play repetitive 8th notes and it's challenging with a lot of bass pedal gear due to poor retriggering.
  11. JohnDeereJack

JohnDeereJack

Another +1 for 3Leaf's GR2. Much better than the Wonderlove IMHO (I had both, sold the Wonderlove)
    Stick a gated fuzz - you already have a Mammoth AFAICT - in the GR2's effects loop and away you go. For an even nicer synth tone add an octave pedal in there too - a Boss OC-2 or MXR BOD are my personal recommendations.
  12. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

currently using a xerograph deluxe, but I still need to get the hang of it.
  13. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

My Xero D is very responsive and it will get very organic and nasty. I think it definitely helps to have good control of your levels going in. Putting a boost in front of my fuzz/env chain changed everything. Mine responds BRILLIANTLY behind even mind tearing fuzz. It becomes granular and synthy. It's a pretty brilliant envelope and low pass filter.

Anyway, I've heard/played the new SA DSP stuff. It's fun. Sounds good. It's a DSP.

My Xero is staying on my board and I HIGHLY recommend it. Sounds like it would be expensive for the OP though and that's a bummer.
  14. spufman

spufman Supporting Member

Brown Dog + 00Funk, using the envelope connection is my synthy module. 00Funk on its own isn't my fave, but the two-pedal combo really is the 'nads. Brown Dog on its own is excellent, as well.
  15. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

I use a WMD Super Fatman since it has a threshold control you can use it to set its sensitivity based on what its being fed. I used to own a 3-Leaf Groove Regulator and used its effects loop but it can't get overly synthy. The Super Fatman can (along with a buttload of other tones,quacks,bwoops,bweeps,fwOOOOmps and so forth)
  16. NeroJazz

NeroJazz Supporting Member

My favorite filter for synth purposes is by far the 3Leaf Wonderlove. The fx loop fantastic for keeping your picking dynamics. It doesn't hurt that it sounds awesome as a stand alone filter as well.
  17. Lownote38

Lownote38

I can't live without my EH Bass Microsynth. The distortion is built in.
  18. hieronymous

hieronymous

Here's a couple of soundclips of the 3Leaf GR-2 with Z Vex Mastotron in the effects loop. Not sure if it's the sound you are looking for though.

For comparison here's the GR-2 by itself:

This is the Crowther Prunes & Custard - never got it to sound like this again, I think it was the mudbucker in the Gibson bass pushing it...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014 at 4:08 AM
  19. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

I've been using a Recovery Couple Skate into a 3leaf Proton (then sometimes into a BF-2, maybe some chorus, a little delay, some reverb, perhaps some more fuzz... you'll have to excuse me, I have a bit of a fever).
  20. goran

goran

A lot of very good suggestions in this thread, thank you!! :)
    @hieronymous: yes, this is exactly the type of sound I'm aiming at.