Which fan-less power amp - Crown K1/K2 or MacroTech?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Dee-man, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Howdy TB. My latest GAS is for a power amp that doesn't have a fan (fan noise has been known to bug me at lower volumes). This will primarily be paired with a Read Custom Purity preamp so hopefully the amp's input sensitivity won't matter too much. Looking for roughly 750-1000w per channel at 4 ohms.

I know a bunch of the Crowns (like K1/K2 and Micro/Macrotech) don't have fans. Of the Crowns, can anyone who has used both the K1/K2 and Macrotech/Microtech amps tell me the differences between the two tonally or otherwise?

Any other quality power amps without a fan anyone can recommend?

Thanks, DM
  2. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    The Bryston 4b will do you very nicely, its the industry standard for the larger studio monitors.:bassist:
  3. Tuned

Tuned

A friend used to run an Aguilar tube pre into a K1 driving an Avatar 210, sounded killer. It convinced me to keep an eye out for a tube pre to match with an IPR1600. The IPR fans drop when the signal drops, so when your rig is quiet, so is the fan. They don't turn off entirely, but you'd have to stick your ear to the grill to hear it.
  4. seamonkey

seamonkey

There needs to be more new fanless amps. The problem is newer designs are much more efficient and they don't use much for heat sinks anymore. Just fans, thermally controlled. Saves weight and $$$

Tonally, of the major brand power amps, they are going to be the same.
    There may be some measurable differences, but nothing that anyone can hear. It's been that way for decades.

David Clark "Do All Amplifiers Sound the Same?" January, 1987
    Concludes
    "Certainly there are still differences between amps, but we are unlikely to hear them."
  5. Dee-man

Thanks for comments. Any K1/K2 v MA users out there?
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Why are you looking for that much power for low volumes? Just grab any old small fan-less power amp for low volume, and pick a bigger one for when you need to be loud and wont notice the fan.

Right tools for the job and all that...
  7. thumbknuckle

thumbknuckle

Macrotechs have fans.
  8. Dee-man

I need the power to drive the cabs I have (4 ohms/800 watts), and might take it out occasionally.

I didn't think the MA had fans. Oh well. That would make the K1/K2 a better choice for that reason, but I'm a little concerned with the input sensitivity of K series, which is 1.4v with a 30+ db. The MA had 3 input sensitivities, including .775V.

Any more thoughts anyone? And thanks.
  9. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    So pick up a big ol' beasty power amp for when you play out, and something smaller and quieter when you dont need to tear peoples faces off?
  10. Dee-man

What lower power fan-less amps would you recommend?
  11. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Wouldnt anything work at low volume? No need to complicate anything at low volumes. Hell you could pick up an old lead sled for cheap and just use the power section.
  12. Dee-man

Just rounding out my research - anyone know how the fan noise on the Crest CA6 compares to the CA9 (or to the ProLite 2.0/3.0, for that matter). Thanks, DM