1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which Fender AVRI Jazz has the thinnest neck - Front to Back?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by THORRR, Dec 16, 2013.

1. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you've played or owned a Fender AVRI Jazz 4 string bass
    which one had a thin neck (from front to back) ?

I'm not talking about the nut width (1.5") but the thickness
    from the top of the frets to the back ot the neck. I know
    Geddy Lees are supposed to be thin, but what about the AVRI?

What year model was it? and how was the overall build quality?

Would love to hear your opinions. Thanks in advance,

:bassist:
  2. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

I had an 1990 American Vintage 62 Jazz and a 2003 Geddy Lee Jazz. Overall I would say the Geddy had a thinner neck as far as you're asking. The 62 RI was narrower at the nut but had a little more thickness and roundness at the back. The Geddy was flatter and thinner at the back.
    Both basses were really well built, I sold the Geddy years ago and kind of regret it. I sold the 62 RI Jazz a few months ago...needed the money.
  3. narud

narud Supporting Member

i had a 2000 avri that a thinner neck than my slab 62 jazz!
  4. thebrian

thebrian Still can't think of anything good to put here. Supporting Member

The Fullerton AVRIs ('82-84) are the thinnest. I had one of those that was as thin and maybe thinner than a Geddy even. The Corona AVRIs ('86 to current) seem to vary in neck profile from one bass to the next. Some are as thin as Fullertons, but I've felt at least a couple that had a little more chunk to them.
  5. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Thinnest AVRI neck available now is the 75 avri.....its almost like a geddy.
  6. MIMike

MIMike

I have a early 83 with a very thin neck. I bought a 87 thinking it would be the same and it was not at all. It was quite a bit thicker front to back than my 83. I still have the 83, but sold the 87 after a few years.
  7. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy

The one I own now indeed does have an awesome neck, very thin. But I remember trying one few years back that had a chunkier neck.

The newly introduced '74 AVRI, on the other hand, is chunky and fat
  8. Tim1

Tim1

I used to prefer slim necks but nowadays I enjoy a bit of meat in a neck, plus one would hope that a chunky neck might be more stable. For some reason I don't any more think a thin/slim neck is necessarily a "fast" neck. I have owned two 62 RI jazzes, both had what I would call slim necks, and both had neck stability issues. My 68 Jazz has a comparatively fatter neck, is stable by comparison and feels great. Sorry, not trying to derail the thread - it just made me think about this issue.
  9. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

I've got a 2012 avri 62 p that is insanely thin front to back. Breeze to play.