Which Fender Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mesaphlin, Mar 22, 2014.

1. mesaphlin

mesaphlin

Hello everyone,

I just would like to purchase a Fender Jazz Bass but I am not sure which one I should buy?

An old vintage 1972 Fender Jazz Bass or a new Fender 1974 Jazz bass which Fender just released?

What are your opinions about it?

And also, people say that the vintage jazz basses have dead notes ( well maybe on some of them ) You think the Fender Company solved this dead note problems on the new Fender 74 Jazz Basses?

:bassist:

2. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well.. this one time.. at band camp..
    It depends on the individual instruments. Lots of vintage basses are great players, and so are lots of newer basses. And there are bad ones from every era including the present. Dead spots can happen on any bass, regardless of age. Actual dead notes (where it's fretting out) can be fixed.. sometimes with an easy adjustment, sometimes with a fret leveling, sometimes with a re-fret. If a vintage or newly made bass has playability issues, take that into consideration when you offer a price.. or just move on to one that plays better.

3. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Like thebrain stated, they may both be good individually. I don't know if it's possible to have both basses in the same room w/a nice amp - if so one will shine brighter for you once you A/B them. It's going to be hard to make a call otherwise.

4. Makatak

Makatak

A 72 jazz?, did you win the lottery? They are pretty rare and expensive, here anyway. Id say go for the vintage, cant lose.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Eric66

Eric66

The dead note problems are certainly not solved on new Fender basses.

7. BassAgent

BassAgent

No they're not. The 70's Jazzes are actually still pretty affordable (with some exceptions). When you get pre-1969, things can get pretty darn expensive but a Jazz from, say, 1972 or later is mostly not too costly.

8. Papersen

Papersen Gold Supporting Member

If you have the chance to buy a 1972 (please test if first) go for it. Great bass and good investment.