Which Flats? GHS Precision vs. DR Hi-Beams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Red_Merkin, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Red_Merkin

Red_Merkin

Hey, just a question I couldn't find an answer to (I searched a lot, I swear!):

I just bought a Squier CV Jazz Bass, and I want to put a set of flats on it. I've used D'Addario Chromes before, but I want to try a more "traditional" set of flats, and budget is a consideration.

As far as playing style, I like a lot of old school and retro soul/r&b (Motown, Stax, War, Mayer Hawthorne, Black Joe Lewis, etc...) and Indie rock (Silversun Pickups, The Shins, Death Cab, etc...)

I've narrowed my search down to:

GHS Precision Flats: I've heard some good things about these, but I'd have to order them. Not a big deal, but I am somewhat [DEL]impatient[/DEL] impulsive. :D

DR Hi-Beam Flats: A little more pricey, but readily available. Can't find many demos/reviews.

Webstrings Detroit Flats: Considering, but what I've heard about the tension worries me about my neck. Again, not many reviews/demos to be found.

So, how do these stack up against each other in terms of sound and feel? Do you have any other suggestions? (Again, budget is an issue, I'd like to keep it under $40)
  2. EddieT

EddieT

I've got a Squier VM 70s bass. Santa brought me a set of Picato flats. Stainless steel. 45 65 80 100. They've literally re-birthed the bass. Sounds amazing
  3. Red_Merkin

Red_Merkin

They look good, but shipping from the UK may put them out of my price range.
  4. supakneegrow

supakneegrow

I know they aren't on your list, but I swear by LaBella Flat Wounds myself.
  5. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

The GHS flats are great. I bought them years ago because they're inexpensive. After trying a whole bunch of flats I've stuck with GHS because they have that sound and they feel like they have less tension than some of the others in the 105-45 gauge. Unfortunately I haven't tried the others you've mentioned but from what I read they are very similar to the GHS flats. I think any of those strings will give you what you're looking for. Your bass is gonna sound really nice!
  6. Red_Merkin

Red_Merkin

Thanks! I'm leaning towards the GHS because they are so cheap, and I love the Boomer rounds on my P-Bass - great feel, really punchy with prominent low-mids and not a lot of finger noise.

But this CV Jazz is practically begging for flats, so unless I hear something compelling about another brand, it looks like they'll be the winner!
  7. awamori

awamori

I've tried the DR flats a year ago and they're just dead sounding to me.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

9. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy Supporting Member

Can't beat GHS strings,flats,or rounds. Been using them for years and get great life out of them!
  10. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

Another nod for the GHS flats. They have a real classic tone and are everything you want a flat to be. Lower tension and the price is right too. They worried me a little cause the E seemed DOA when I first strung them. But after break in ADG evened out to balance nicely.
  11. dougjwray

dougjwray

I have a set of old (16+ years) GHS Precision Flats on a Fender Precision, and they just keep sounding better!
  12. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

GHS flats hands down. Don't like the gauges? Get a custom set from Jason. DR flats come in only 1 set gauge iirc and just like awamori, they sound dead to me - but not the good kind of dead like a dead flat should (YMMV with different basses/amps/setups/etc).

I've used Detroit flats. Though I have praised them for being like a cross between Chromes (on the D & G) and GHS flats (on the E & A), I don't recommend them at all with a Jazz bass. I had those on my Squier VM Jazz for awhile and it just took everything that was good about it away. Had some MIJ pups on that jazz and it sang with rounds on it - soon as I strung on the D-flats, the sounds that came out of my Jazz was like child burping obsessively while falling down a flight of stairs with an overflowing, turd-filled diaper. :rollno:
  13. Frenchy-Lefty

Frenchy-Lefty

GHS flats 95-45 are my favorite for old school finger playing. You don't need to mute them to sound thumpy with a short decay. They don't sound "nasally" in the mids like the TI's. In other hand, for Alt-rock pick playing they are a little too dead sounding, especially the E string. You can't get it all I guess.
  14. gary m

gary m

GHS, absolutely. The only flats I'll use, other than Pyramids for my Hofner.
  15. tdoody

tdoody Supporting Member

i have both on different bass guitars. i like both sets. i play the ghs on soul grooves, and the dr's on rock and jazz
  16. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

GHS P flats, no doubt.
  17. Red_Merkin

Red_Merkin

Alright, Update time: In the interest of my budget, and because of that thing where the GHS' windings go around the E Tuner post I 've decided to roll the dice with the Webstrings Detroit Flats. Hopefully they're good, I've certainly read more good things than bad about them. If they don't work out, no big loss. and GHS will be next on the list to try.
  18. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

What are you talking about?
  19. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

It's probably that thing that GHS does where they make one type of string that supposedly covers 34" to 36" scale basses. The A, D and G string are fine but a portion of the E string itself, not just the silk, winds up on the post. While it looks weird, I never found it to be a problem.
  20. Red_Merkin

Red_Merkin

That's it exactly. I know it'd probably be fine, but it would bug the hell out of me.