1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Which fretless: F Bass or Roscoe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

Just curious what you guys would pick and why. I've only tried the fretted versions and like both. I saw Etienne Mbappe playing a fretless F bass on a NAMM video and it growled like crazy. On the other hand, a Roscoe would probably be less $$ and has a diamondwood fingerboard. Feel free to post any video or soundclips.

Thanks

BV

2. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

To me, THE fretless sounds are F-Bass, Pedulla and Rob Allen! All three different, all just amazing (in the hands of someone OTHER than me!) Just my $0.00000000000002!

Dan K

3. Bass Viking

Bass Viking

Pedulla is another worthy option. I think it has a coating on the fingerboard too. The Rob Allens sound amazing but are a different sound (like an upright).

4. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Supporting Member

Get with Gard at Roscoe, he has a fretless which uses two jazz pickups placed similar to a Thumb bass and it sounds and feels absolutely amazing. An extremely close second for me would be the Pedulla Penata Buzz though I do prefer the diamond wood of the Roscoe, the Pedulla is pretty amazing as well. The Rob Allen's sound great but not as comfy imo as either the Roscoe or Pedulla.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SteveC

SteveC

Rob Allen is a different animal to me. I've had a couple and loved them for that "upright" thing. To me, there is no better sounding and playing electric fretless than Roscoe. The "JB" placement that CC is talking about is amazing. If I wouldn't have decided to get a fretted 6 I would have bought a fretless like that this week.

7. zortation

zortation Supporting Member

If money isn't a problem...the only fretless basses I would consider are Pedulla Buzz or an Alembic Essence or Orion, either one with a Q switch installed.