1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which fully Active P pickup sounds most "traditional"?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rusty the Scoob, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Rusty the Scoob

Rusty the Scoob

I want a traditional sounding P pickup that's fully active. What's my best option?
  2. line6man

line6man

The better option would be to use a passive pickup and a transparent buffer. There aren't many active pickups on the market, and most are not voiced to sound traditional.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

MEC are excellent at this game.
  4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

that would be the duncan lightnin' rods; they even have the exposed alnico magnets.

they sounded so "traditional" that it was a hard sell for my customers; "so it sounds just like a vintage-style passive pickup, but it costs more and i have to use a battery? why do i want that again?"
  5. line6man

line6man

Do you educate them on the joys of low impedance outputs and constant input impedances on coils?
  6. Rusty the Scoob

Rusty the Scoob

Lighnin' Rods! Yes, those are exactly what I want!

Ironically I also have both a set of MEC P/J pups and a Wald Electronics TPC1 buffer sitting on the shelf doing nothing.:D Decisions, decisions.

If it helps, this'll be going with a Mike Pope Flexcore, with an EMG Soapbar bridge pickup.
  7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

In that case, you might want to stick with EMG for the P pickup, too. Different brand active pickups might have different output impedances (one might be "more active" than another in a manner of speaking) and thus might not blend evenly.

EMG has an alnico-magnet P pickup that might be more like the classic passive.
  8. joelb79

joelb79

At that point you are basically using the Victor Wooten setup. That is a PAX P pickup, and a JVX Bridge pickup with a Mike Pope Flexcore 4 band Preamp.

That is clip worthy:
  9. Rusty the Scoob

Rusty the Scoob