which FX-pedals are responding freaking out great with "starving battery"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fasto, Apr 7, 2014.

1. fasto

fasto

you might heard about the legend about the "Sir Psycho Sexy" (RHCP) recording when the battery of Fleas Mu-Tron was dying ... or you even noticed yourself that some effects sound better with an older 9V battery.

I once had a killer sound, which i never could reproduce again, with a staving battery in my Z.Vex Box Of Rock clone ... so i decided to build a "Dying Battery Simulator": http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/DBS/

What is your experience with dying batteries in your FX?

2. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I have yet to hear a difference with modern, (made in the past 20 years), effects pedals. Apparently some vintage pedals did sound better.

3. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

Some fuzz pedals sound cool starved. There was a band called Godheadsilo back in the '90s. 2 guys. Drums and bass. Bassist used a couple of Big Muffs. One he kept a dying battery in.

4. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

I love the sound of a good starve... Fuzzrocious- Ram the Manparts gets my Donner Party started... I don't do batteries.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

I use the starve function of my power supply (CAE MC-403) to smooth out my Devi Ever Year of the Rat. I used to get really great OD tones out of my old Recovery 9-volt Disaster when the battery ran down. My favorite pedal with a built in starve has to be the Fairfield Barbershop. I have to say that the Recovery 9VD on low battery really rivaled the Barbershop at low gain drive.

7. lz4005

lz4005

Danelectro made a power supply that you could dial down the voltage on to simulate a dying battery. They may still. Haven't looked in a while, but it was pretty inexpensive.

I used to have a 9v powered mini-amp that had really cool fuzz and feedback characteristics when the battery was almost dead. At a certain point the feedback would interact with the tone control in a theremin-like way. For about 15 minutes, then it didn't work anymore.

8. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

+1. The Starve on the Barbershop really makes the pedal.

As others have noted here, you can buy power supplies that will do a starve, and I seem to recall seeing a "pedal" of some sort that had a variable starve on it which you ran along the power supply to an effect, and it could be engaged or disengaged as desired.

As far as starves go, I think you'd need to try out each individual pedal to see if it made a positive difference or not, and if your ear likes what it does.

9. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Dwarfcraft made one called the Power Struggle, but I think it's discontinued. Here's a list of pedals that respond well to starving.

10. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Maybe not the same thing, but Fulltone recommended a non alkaline 9v in their Fulldrive.

11. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The Fuzzrocious Ram The Manparts also uses a sag function.