1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

which FX-pedals are responding freaking out great with "starving battery"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fasto, Apr 7, 2014.

1. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    you might heard about the legend about the "Sir Psycho Sexy" (RHCP) recording when the battery of Fleas Mu-Tron was dying ... or you even noticed yourself that some effects sound better with an older 9V battery.

I once had a killer sound, which i never could reproduce again, with a staving battery in my Z.Vex Box Of Rock clone ... so i decided to build a "Dying Battery Simulator": http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/DBS/

What is your experience with dying batteries in your FX?

2. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I have yet to hear a difference with modern, (made in the past 20 years), effects pedals. Apparently some vintage pedals did sound better.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Some fuzz pedals sound cool starved. There was a band called Godheadsilo back in the '90s. 2 guys. Drums and bass. Bassist used a couple of Big Muffs. One he kept a dying battery in.

5. DagoMaino

DagoMaino Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2013
    I love the sound of a good starve... Fuzzrocious- Ram the Manparts gets my Donner Party started... I don't do batteries.

6. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Concord, NH
    I use the starve function of my power supply (CAE MC-403) to smooth out my Devi Ever Year of the Rat. I used to get really great OD tones out of my old Recovery 9-volt Disaster when the battery ran down. My favorite pedal with a built in starve has to be the Fairfield Barbershop. I have to say that the Recovery 9VD on low battery really rivaled the Barbershop at low gain drive.

7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Danelectro made a power supply that you could dial down the voltage on to simulate a dying battery. They may still. Haven't looked in a while, but it was pretty inexpensive.

I used to have a 9v powered mini-amp that had really cool fuzz and feedback characteristics when the battery was almost dead. At a certain point the feedback would interact with the tone control in a theremin-like way. For about 15 minutes, then it didn't work anymore.

8. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

+1. The Starve on the Barbershop really makes the pedal.

As others have noted here, you can buy power supplies that will do a starve, and I seem to recall seeing a "pedal" of some sort that had a variable starve on it which you ran along the power supply to an effect, and it could be engaged or disengaged as desired.

As far as starves go, I think you'd need to try out each individual pedal to see if it made a positive difference or not, and if your ear likes what it does.

9. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Washington DC
    Disclosures:
    I ain't got paid to play in months
    Dwarfcraft made one called the Power Struggle, but I think it's discontinued. Here's a list of pedals that respond well to starving.

10. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Maybe not the same thing, but Fulltone recommended a non alkaline 9v in their Fulldrive.

11. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    The Fuzzrocious Ram The Manparts also uses a sag function.