1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which Garbos?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by thejumpcat, Jan 28, 2014.

1. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat Supporting Member

Need your advice, TBers.

I have a 1950s German ply that is currently being worked on. My repairman is suggesting Spirocore Weichs, which are great, but I'm thinking Velvets.

I had a set of Animas years ago. Truly fine sounding... almost TOO complex for the jump blues I play. I switched to Lenzner guts, but the E string was useless.

After much research, I'm leaning towards Garbos, but I'm not sure which set: the gut G; regulars; or lights.

I play a GK400RB through an LDS 1x15. I usually use an Underwood, although I'm looking at getting a Fonokraft pickup. The band is four-piece: bass, drums, guitar and harp/vocals. Loud, most of the time.

I don't do a ton of slapping; here and there, but mainly walking lines. I like a good thump.

Thanks!
  2. tyb507

tyb507 Supporting Member

I think regulars will server you well. Also, you might check out Evah Pirazzi Weich, or think about keeping the Lenzners on top and finding a used Garbo A+E to try out. I have a Lenzner G, Dlugolecki D, Oliv A and Garbo E on my gigging bass now, and I like the sound and feel across all the strings. I didn't like the round-wounds Lenzner E+A.