Which Head for Epifani UL1 410

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kennyrodg, Dec 5, 2013.

1. kennyrodg

kennyrodg

Hey Folks,
    I recently aquired a series1 UL410, last week in fact and gigged it twice over the weekend.
    The first gig was a notorious black hole in terms of being boomy, I've struggled every time with various set ups, even a sealed 810. As it happened it was the most enjoyable gig I've played there. We play on a hollow wooden stage about 18" high and the drums and bass cab are set back about 2 feet in an alcove. As luck would have it they had set up a big xmas tree in the alcove so my cab was about 2 feet from the wall.
    I used the input stage from my Yamaha BBT500H into the power section of a GB STR900, P bass with Nickel Rounds and my tone was righteous !! I heard every note and had a ball.
    2ng gig,
    I thought this would be a peach, 20ft wide room maybe 50ft long, carpet floor and fairly low ceiling. I used the same set up and got mush all night. Second set I went straight into the front end of the Streamliner and there was no improvement. Just boomy bass all night long. I had the bass back at 9 oclock on both heads, Mids boosted, tone up on the Bass,gramma pad etc etc.

Soooo,
    sorry for the essay but I paid a lot of money for the Epifani Cab and would like to give it a fair crack before I move it on so I'm wondering what head would suit it best.
    I have an Ampeg SVT 7pro that I'm going to try it with but I'll be moving the Streamliner on to try something else.
    If any of you guys that have experience with this cab could give me some recommendations for a suitable Head I'd be very grateful. I play in a Wedding / function type band, music is very "Pop", a mix of stuff as you would imagine.
    Thanks for looking and sorry I've gone on a bit :help:
    :cool:

2. feelinlow

feelinlow Supporting Member

I own 2 Epifani UL 1 410's and they are my favorite cabs. I use a epifani UL 502 for smaller gigs and I use my Eden WT800 for larger gigs. The Eden head sounds the best with the Epi cabs. to my ears anyway.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  4. kennyrodg

kennyrodg

Cheers Guys,
    I had an early WT550 a while back but sold it as it started clipping way to early for my liking, I absolutely loved the tone of it though. I'm guessing I wouldn't have that issue with the WT800
    UL501's are something of a rarity over here, top dollar new as well, £1k or thereabouts.
    I appreciate the heads up on it guys but my budget won't stretch that far atm. I'll be looking for something in the "used" section of the forums over here.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    With the UL1 410, I love my Mesa Boogie Carbine M9, and especially my lead sled, a racked Crest CA6 with an A.R.T. tube channel pre-amp. The trick is not to trust the on-axis tone as room tone. The M9 has good EQ with the GEQ and contour select switch.

The discontinued one-rack-space A.R.T. channel strip unit has great 4-way EQ with parametric high and low mids, as well as push-button band selects for treble and bass bands, and an EQ defeat, which is very cool with active basses.

What ever you get, be sure to get a 2 ohm capable head, because with that cab, you can create a modular 610 by adding an 8 ohm UL210 (ver1 or 2). A truly righteous rig for hip-hop or Urban R&B.

7. chris_b

chris_b

A couple of times I used my Ampeg SVT3PRO. It didn't stop the world but it sounded OK. My Markbass LM2 came next and sounded much better. I guess the LM3 is the equivalent these days.

I tried an Eden WT800 for a couple of gigs and it sounded great but my favourite was the Thunderfunk TFB550. That combination beat everything.

8. happyg

happyg

I'm thinking its the head. I had kind of the same experience with my SL900. That pillow like low end and the boom is tough to tame. I ended up switching cabs and that was a mistake. I should of kept the cabs and looked at a different head. There are some good deals out there on the Shuttle and Shuttle Max heads right now if you want to stay with Genz. I have also heard that the Markbass heads pair up pretty well with the Epifani cabs.

9. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

Markbass Little Mark II or III. Sounded so incredible with my UL410S1.

10. KJung

KJung

I will just comment that the Streamliner is NOT the right amp for that cab (too much 'big low end, smooth mids, lack of upper midrange presence meets the same thing with that cab).

I gigged that cab for years (actually had the first one off the line when they came out back in the day). The key to having a good time with that cab IMO is to have a head that has a low shelving start point to control the huge low end, a low center point for the low midrange to punch it up in large rooms. So, the Puma900 and the GK MB800 (given that you said the quite powerful WT550 was not enough power for you) would be my choice. Your 7Pro should also sound pretty good.

Interestingly, I'd avoid the Epifani heads with this cab.... EQ points are all wrong for anything but 'boom and click' IMO and IME.

Great cab, and IMO the best sounding UL every made.

11. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

IMO the Eden WT-550 or the Ashdown ABM series will sound great with that cab.

12. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

i use Ampeg SVT 7 Pro with mine and it is awesomeeeeee

13. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

Genz Benz, Shuttle 6. Shuttlemax 12, GBE600, I own all three and use them with my UL410 cabs. My UL410s are 4 ohm so I can only use one with the Shuttle 6.0, both with the Shuttlemax 12 on different channels or I can daisy chain them on my GBE600 which goes down to 2ohms. I can tell you, 600 watts through two 4ohm cabinet is frickin loud.

14. kennyrodg

kennyrodg

Hey Guys,
    Thanks very much indeed for the replies, much appreciated !!
    I've got two gigs this weekend, a wedding and a bar gig. I've checked the pics from the wedding venue and the room is narrow and long with a vaulted ceiling, oak beams etc etc.
    I'll give the Ampeg a run out at the wedding gig and see how we go.

There's a chance I may be able to trade the Streamliner for a TC RH750, IIRC you can center the Bass at 70hz so would that be a decent match up for the UL ??
    Edit, the cab is 8 ohm but I'm also on the lookout for a 2x10 to pair with it for the bigger gigs I do. I realise an 8ohm 210 is less than ideal due to the same power going in to it but hey, The 410 is what it is.
    Thanks again guys.

15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    IMHO, the best way to run an 8 ohm UL1 410 with an 8 ohm UL1 210 is with a two channel head. Lead sleds do this well. Note the attenuators on the face of this CA6. :D

[​IMG]

16. Lennard III.

Lennard III.

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Fodera Guitars , Harvest fine leather bags & straps
    I have also a S1 4x10 and to me it's just the best 4x10 that I have ever had and heard .... I am using the Epifani 902c

17. kennyrodg

kennyrodg

Cheers Jim,
    Food for thought there.
    Nice looking rig !!
    Thanks Lennard 111

18. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I loved the Mesa M9 with mine; and I liked the GK MBF series even a little better as their low end is tighter than the M9.
    The UL410 is a deeply tuned cab...

19. tleebassist11

tleebassist11 Taylor Lee

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Epifani
    I use the Epifani Piccolo with mine and it is very clean, and incredibly powerful!

20. kennyrodg

kennyrodg

Thanks Chef,
    Therein lies my challenge :D
    Amps that will not boom with this cab.

21. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    That's why I switched from M6 to M9: the graphic eq and compressor. that worked really well.
    The GK MBFusion was even a little nicer yet, and; even nicer yet with an feck hpf.