Which head to pair specifically with my Bergantino HD212, with a Jazz and P bass?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Killens84, Dec 22, 2013.

Which head to pair specifically with my Bergantino HD212, with a Jazz and P bass?

1. Aguilar Tone Hammer 500

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Eden WT550 Traveler

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Gallien-Krueger MB800

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. Gallien-Krueger MB Fusion 800

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  5. Markbass Little Mark III

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

I just ordered a Bergantino HD212 cab, and my two basses are a Mike Lull passive Jazz and a Mike Lull passive P bass. I play fingerstyle 99% of the time. I like a clean sound that doesn't get lost in a full band mix, but nothing that's very "Hi-Fi." So I'm trying to decide which head will specifically best compliment my Berg cab and Lull basses. I already own a Genz-Benz ShuttleMax 9.2, which I plan on keeping for the time being. I'm just looking for another head as well to get in the coming months. I know the only thing that matters is which one I prefer, but I like to hear others' opinions.

2. rmars

rmars

I like my Shuttlemax 12.2 with my HD212 but my last couple gigs I've been bypassing the Shuttlemax's pre and running a Tone Hammer pedal into the power amp input on the back. So far I really like it, seems to have more girth/thickness without getting out of control, lows sound more full but still tight. I feel like I fiddle with knobs a lot less with the TH, I'm always tweaking the SM. I would think the TH500 would be a great head with the HD212.

3. brotherbassj

brotherbassj Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink
    I started using my thunderfunk 550B with the hd 212 with my jazzes and believe it or not I am now using a Mesa M6 with it. I play mostly finger style rock and classic rock now. If I was slapping at all the Thunderfunk kinda covers all genres....jist my 2 cents.....

4. IanA

IanA Supporting Member

You already own the best head for that cab IMHO, the max 9.2 is stunning and pairs with the HD212 perfectly. I have gigged that cab many times with the more limited shuttle 9.0 and it was mind blowing!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chris_b

chris_b

I don't know about the HD series cabs but my passive Lull PJ5 works very nicely with the Aguilar TH500.

I run the TH500 through a CN212 but for me that bass and amp pairing just works.

7. Killens84

I've been curious why there have been so many Aguilar TH 500's in the classifieds over the past few months. It leads me to believe there's something about that amp that people just aren't digging.

8. TC.65

TC.65

I voted TH500 have heard nothing but good about them. I would bet that the GB Streamliner would sound really great through that cab too.

9. IanA

IanA Supporting Member

The Hd212 already has quite a lot going on down low, I personally thought the streamliner was too big in the lows to match up with it, I preferred it with the shuttle by some margin

10. TC.65

TC.65

So you've tried it with the Streamliner?

11. IanA

IanA Supporting Member

Yes
    Edit
    I have owned the HD212/shuttle combination and it just works, when I tried the streamliner I thought the low end was too big and the mids to smooth. I could eq it to make improvements but the the shuttle was there as soon as I plugged in. I think I tried the th500 with it for about 5 mins and it wasn't too bad, just preferred the shuttle.
    Bear in mind my tonal preferences may be different to yours and this is all IMHO.

12. Killens84

I've owned the Streamliner 900. While it was fantastic, it wasn't my flavor. I was advised to not pair the HD212 with a head that was already big/wooly down low, that it works better with a head that has a tighter, more focused sound. That would be my concern with pairing the TH500 with the HD212; My understanding is that the TH500 is big and loose down low.

13. IanA

IanA Supporting Member

I think you had good advice....
    Awesome cab, one of my favourites. Only sold mine because of the weight, loved the tone.
    I ran mine with a shuttle 9.0, with the max 9.2 wow what a combination!

14. TC.65

TC.65

I understand where you guys are coming from cause the Streamliner is really big on the bottom end. I rolled the tubes in mine with a set of NOS tubes.

V1-GE 5751
    V2-Amperex 7025
    V3-RCA 7025

This really tightened up the bass and gives the mids some good punch. I really don't know much about the Berg cabs. I have read where the AE line had a lot going on in the high mids. Other than that I really know nothing about them. Sorry did not mean to misinform.

15. IanA

IanA Supporting Member

Only some Ae cabs, ae410, early 210 and 112 cabs are a very forward but the later revised 210,112 and the Ae212 are more polite. The ae410 would sound amazing with streamliner 900, as it would really tighten up that huge low end

16. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

I found the CN212 to be a decent match with the Streamliner as well. If you are set on the hd then I would agree maybe a puma 900 or GK mb 800 would be a better match.