1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which heads does the Schroeder 1212L (angled baffle) agree with?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by nosajwp, Jan 8, 2013.

1. nosajwp

nosajwp

Title speaks for itself...
  2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

Carvin B1500
    Markbass LMII (with the 40hz to fatten things up)
    Tecamp Puma.

Basically an amp with an inherent big wide low-end. The B1500 works very nicely with this cab, but she's heavy.

One amp that doesnt do well with the Schroes IME is the Genz Shuttle 6.0.
  3. nosajwp

nosajwp

Would an iAmp 800 or Pro work well?
  4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Not familiar with the Pro, but the huge low end of the iAmp800 and the smooth mids works quite well with the lower mid bumped baffle Schroeders. My favorite was the Markbass LMII (now the LMIII). The VPF filter is voiced perfectly to widen and smooth that cab, and is variable, and the upper mid control is in just the right place to bring a touch of brightness to that cab. The F1 sounded great also, and has been replaced by the new Big Bang, which would also be a good option, since the front end is pretty much the same as the LMIII. A bit more money, quite a bit smaller due to the class D amp versus the class A/B of the LMIII.

The iAmp800 works OK also, but it is super clean, which is kind of a love hate thing with some. Depends on what you want.
  5. CElton

CElton Supporting Member

My favorite amp with that cab was the Mesa M6. It just seem to fill the sonic holes the Schroe had. I've heard the GK MBFusion sounds pretty close to the M6 if you wanted something smaller, however, I have no actual experience with the GK micro heads.
  6. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 Good choices also. The MBFusion would definitely provide a more aggressive top end to that cab, and the contour works well with the Schroe baffle voicing
  7. nosajwp

nosajwp

What about the Markbass TTE 800 or the Little Mark Tube 800? How would an AI Clarus or Focus do?
  8. PluckyThump

PluckyThump Supporting Member

Something with at least 500 watts, inherent warmth in the voicing and good midrange control. The Little Mark (any variety) works very well. The Shuttle 9.0/9.2 is also good with the low boost engaged, some midrange cut and plenty of tube preamp gain. IMO the cab sounds best with some grit added. Also don't be afraid to dime the tweeter control, and cut highs at the amp and/or bass if that's too bright for you.
  9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The AI, IMO and IME, not so much. The EQ is very limited on that head, and the extreme peaks and valleys of that particular Schroeder cab take a bit of pounding to even out.

The LMTube800 would be fine, since it has the same front end as the LMIII/LMTube/LM800. It again has nice capability to expand the low end and brighten up the upper mids, and relax the low mids. Just a warning that the tube impact is VERY subtle on the LMTube800, and I actually found the LMIII to sound warmer than the LMTube800.
  10. chuck3

chuck3

Interesting thread - I was just going through this today, as I was using a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 with this exact Schroeder cab and didn't think it sounded optimal. Got me fooling around with my Little Mark II (and another cab, I should have switched the LM over to the Schroe for an A/B, but I didn't get that far).

What is the "sonic hole" or whatever with this Schroe cab that y'all are referring to? Maybe that was what I noticed with the Streamliner.
  11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

That cab is just a little "nasal" and slightly constipated at low volume. I use a UA710/QSC PLX3102(rig has zero EQ except a low-cut) into that cab with good results, often bumping the lows on my bass at lower volums. I also use that cab with an Ashdown LG1000 and it also does fine. IME, you just have to work with that cab a little if you want to get it sounding as musical as possible on stage, that's the sacrafice for the light weight and small footprint.
  12. chuck3

chuck3

put a MB Little Mark II on this particular Schroeder cab rather than the Streamliner 900, and it matched up better. Used those vintage filters a little too (although I know they don't get a lot of love around here) and I liked the result.

Interesting.
  13. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Related: regardless of head, do not expect this cab to sound too sweet at bedroom volumes; it was designed as a one-cab solution to cut through in a perfromance situation. As such it is a little harsh solo'ed, but is louder than heck and quite audiable onstage.
  14. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger Supporting Member

I ran three heads through the 1212L I owned for a few years: a Genz-Benz GBE600, a MarkBass TA501, and a Genz-Benz ShuttleMax 9.2.

The best-sounding head was the GBE; as stated before, that low-boost button worked wonders to thicken up the low end on that cab, and I found the tone shaping on the Class A GBEs to be far more useful than the digital Genzes for overcoming both a cab's and a room's sonic shortcomings. The TA501 was a close second; I can second the VPF filter knob's greatness at filling the holes in the 1212L; that knob fixed darn near everything when turned to about 11 o'clock. Incredible punch and articulation there ... just frakking FULL.

The TA501 couldn't quite drive the 1212L properly, though, which led me to get the ShuttleMax -- and I never could get the 9.2 to sound right with the 1212L. That head ended up frustrating me to no end in that regard. Tonally it's more flexible on paper and in the knobs and buttons, yes, but it flat-out lacked the inherent warmth that the GBE had at flat EQ -- and the tone controls on the ShuttleMax, while more wide-ranging, were also more nasal and tinny to my ears.
  15. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

+1

I liked it with my 1210L because the cab itself was anything but real clean. So kind of the the yin/yang thing you speak of so often.

I used an AI Focus with mine for a while too. With a wooly tube preamp into the EFX return it was pretty cool for the swampy blues-rock thing I was doing at that time. Not as much fun with just the Focus though, since the Schro didn't do much with the subtle EQ.
  16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

Puma 500
    Streamliner 600
    Aggie AG500
  17. nosajwp

nosajwp

Thanks guys...anyone else?
  18. godley69

godley69

Thunderfunk all the way!!!!
  19. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

Sans amp bass driver or para driver also works really well with the Schroes as it fattens things up nicely. Other than that I think there are alot of great ideas in this thread.