1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

Which high-wattage speaker cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Rusty the Scoob, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Rusty the Scoob

Rusty the Scoob Supporting Member

I need a speaker cab or cabs that'll take 2500 watts twice a weekend without damage. Something fairly clean and uncolored, and hopefully fairly light but roadworthy. I prefer 15"s over 10"s but I'm open to suggestions. What would you get?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Good luck. Seems to me, you'd need a whole lot of cab, probably several of them, and BIG ones at that. What amp, and what's the minimum impedance?

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

2500 watts? For a bass rig? May I ask what amp you are using that is providing that kind of power?

4. Rusty the Scoob

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Dude, no way you need that kind of power. Are you playing stadiums? Do you not have PA support?

7. Winfred

Winfred

Speaker cab (or cabs) that handle 2500 watts. And fairly light?

Define "fairly light".

8. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Any cab with at least 8 or more 15" speakers should work just fine.

9. Rusty the Scoob

I believe in clean, strong headroom, and my band is on the loud side. Plus some clubs and my personal PA don't have subs, so it does get worked fairly hard sometimes.

Something I can move on my own with a handtruck fairly easily. maybe 100 lbs max per cab?

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Brother, my band is louder than most. We are a 3 piece hard rock outfit and my drummer has a very large double bass kit, completely and utterly close mic'ed. My guitarist has a 120 watt tube head and a full stack. First off, we have our own PA and I suggest you invest some money there. Secondly, I have 1000 watt power amp ( realistically outputting around 800 watts) and an Ampeg 810cl. I can easily make it where the only thing you can hear is me.

Just sayin'.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    You're gonna need a lot of cabs but since bridged mode only goes down to 4 ohms you're talking maybe 2 8x10's spltting 2500 watts. Better off running in stereo mode. You'll be able to use more cabs since you can go down to 2 ohms. Trust me, it'll be loud enough. I have the same amp for my PA.

12. Andyman001

Andyman001 Supporting Member Supporting Member

A couple fEarfuls -1515/66 would probably work

13. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

A few iterations of my rig.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For what you want I would suggest looking into some greenboy cabs. You man initially think you need more than one 1515/66/1 or F215, but I assure you one will be more than enough.

14. Rusty the Scoob

That looks about right. I'm not looking for a stadium rig, I'm just tired of blowing up speakers in my 2x10".

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

You're kidding right?

16. Rusty the Scoob

??? No. My 15" holds up fine. Thanks for your help.

17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

15"? I thought you just said 2x10? Or are you running a 1x15 and a 2x10? Either way, your speakers aren't blowing because of any fault of their own. They are blowing because you are WAY overpowering them. It isn't helping anything that you are likely running a mismatched pair of cabs and one ( apparently your 210) is rated a lot lower as far as power handling capability.

Use the search feature. There are a lot of experienced guys here who can help you. Not many of them are going to help you do something retarded though, like run 2500 watts into a 2x10.;)

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Wait, you been running that amp bridged into the 2x10 and 1x15?

Dude.........

19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

And he keeps blowing 10" speakers. Even more shockingly, he apparently keeps replacing them and then carrying on as usual.

20. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Yes, the op has been grossly over powering his cabs. A standard 210 and a 115 will be excursion limited to about 5-600 watts depending on a lot of factors. For his purposes he does need a lot more cab.

There are options out there.

21. Rusty the Scoob

I've never had any patience for bass amps... i'd rather do my taxes than shop for gear.

The cabs with a Shuttle 9.0 were nowhere near enough volume, so I got a preamp and Crest CA9. The CA9 eventually went up in smoke (it was used and in rough shape when I got it, probably a mistake purchase) so I headed to guitar center and there was the power amp for $600: Light, loud and cheap, so I bought one. It's blown two 10"s in the past year, gigging twice a weekend, so now I'm wondering about a cab that'll hold up a little better.