Which is a better stereo bass head GK2001rb or Ampeg Pro 4

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jjlent, Dec 1, 2012.

1. jjlent

jjlent

both amps are about the same power rating before I buy my Christmas gift i would like the pros & cons from those who own these 2 fine amps.
    thanks

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't own either but played through both on gigs several times over the years. Both are fine amps, but the GK appeals to those who like the GK thing and the Ampeg appeals to those who like the Ampeg sound and tube preamps. For me, the tubes add a dimension to the sound that isn't in the GK. Hard to put into words, but while I like both, I prefer the 4 Pro.

3. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Do you want a true stereo amp, bi-amp or just two powersections running the same signal? I'm not sure if either amp is stereo. (my bad if I'm wrong)

I have a GK 2001RBP & Ampeg SVP-Pro (not quite the same but close) I run them in a Carvin HD1500 power amp. So I suppose I could run them stereo if I wanted this way if I wanted but I just bridge the amp and run one or the other. Like jimmy stated, two different flavors. Both bring something a little different to the table. The 2001RBP has two channels (including a wicked distortion channel) and the SVP has the tubey goodness.

Now if I could work up a switching system so I could go between the two into one power amp.........that would slay....:bassist::bassist:

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    My two least favorite amps from each line... Only stereo rig I've liked was an Eden Navigator driving a PLx2402 and better was a late 90's WT800a. Rarely used the stereo function on either though. Mostly I biamped or used one side of the PLX.

I found the GK to have less of what I love about GK than any other GK I've tried. It may be that given the high power available, I wasn't able to get it hot enough for what I love about GK.

Ampeg's with tube pre's and SS power amps... Have yet to meet one I really liked. The soul of an Ampeg lays in the tube power section I believe. There are a few of those I love though.

If it's tubey goodness you want, lose the weight and think Streaminer 900. If it's GK punch, there are a multitude of better choices (IMO) used or new.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jjlent

jjlent

I need a bad boy to drive the 4 power suckers in my pic

Attached Files:

7. jjlent

jjlent

I had a Fender TBP1 pre running into a QSC RMX 2400. channel A ran the 8 10's channel B ran the 2 15's but the 4 power suckers farted out the amp at higher volumes I needed a 5000 watt or higher amp to manage those boys & girls.
    I am looking for an amp that can handle a 2ohm load on each channel without burning up.
    not a power amp, I was thinking of a Crown power amp I would probably use the direct out right into the power amp for a cleaner signal if I did.
    Ampeg hmmm looks like they lost quality (capitolistic greed to outsource) but the 4 pro looks like the monster to pull it off, I have used ampeg in the past never 4 pro, never tried a GK until I bought a MB200 running it into an acoutiv 8/10 cab sounds good but MB series and RB series are different animals right?

8. cableguy

If 2400W (which I assume the QSC is) is not loud enough you may just be deaf........

9. cableguy

Are you using all 4 cabs at the same time? I suppose of you like GK and wanted stereo you could by (2) 1001RB-II's and be insanely loud. :D

10. jjlent

jjlent

@55 did loose some on the high end heh, it's not loudness, its the headroom to drive all 4 cabs, when I turned up the volume the sound thinned out(farted) I was also thinking GK fusion 550 for the 8/10's & slaving a RB1001 for the 2 15's all cabs are 4 ohm.
    SWR makes a 750 watt dual amp head for about the same cash as the tc blacksmith the SM1500, also the EBS FAFNER II a dual amp high power head $2300, hmmm oh and Hartke kilo.
    Not impressed with Hartke, never heard a SWR or fafner so the only 2 that does have a huge artist following are Ampeg & GK.
    If you was offered a free head to choose which one? Ampeg 4pro? or GK2001rb?

11. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

AS JimmyM said all controls at center, two tonally different heads. I have played both (not owned) and prefer the the tone shaping range and power of the 2001RB. Not that the 4Pro is a one trick pony, the "Graphic EQ" for me has always been a poor choice for a live instrument. Just IMHO understand, I find it a toy best left unused.

12. jjlent

jjlent

$1100 free delivery no taxes sweet! cant wait to shake rattle the dishes and watch em roll!

13. jjlent

jjlent

Broke out my roadready rack it has a 3 bay opening screammin GK GK Gk re arrainged my stack so the 15's or on the bottom and the 10's on top, looks sweet.
    when GK arrives will post pics!

14. jjlent

jjlent

Question, can I connect 4 cabs (2 4ohm ea) and use both 540 watt power amps at the same time in the 2001?

15. jjlent

jjlent

How do I get this amp to play dual mono at the same time?
    2001rb should give me 540 watts into 2ohm load per channel mono? right?

16. B-string

Yes you can .

To use Dual Mono the bridge switch on the back of the amp is set to dual mono (No not set to bridged). If you didn't get the owner's manual I can email you a copy or you can get it at www.gallien.com. :)

17. jjlent

jjlent

Yep I did that, what is confusing me is the diagram for normal dual mono in the manual. if I understand it correctly I should be able to hook up 2 15's starting with the right speakon 2 pin out of amp into 1st 15 cab and a second speakon 2 pin from the 1st 15 to the 2nd 15 and the same for the left side with the 4/10's I did that!
    so now I go to the front controls and find I can only use either A or b channels not both and the master volume is controlled on the bi amp woofer knob....what am I missing?

or

do I have to use both speakon outs L/R for each cab separatly? 4 2pin connections.

18. B-string

You can run from cab to cab. 2 15" cabs (hooked together) to the left output. Your 410 to the right output, use the right level control on the back to balance cabs then the master (woofer) controls all cabs. Hookup the louder cabs to the right side so you can balance them.

19. jjlent

jjlent

I running all 4 cabs now.. the light went off overhead! now to find that sweet spot
    thanks B

20. B-string

Enjoy learning to do plaster, window and wallboard work ;) hehehehehehehe :D

21. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Then later:
    :confused: