1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

which is better two 1x15 cabs or one 2x15 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 3mrhythm, Jan 31, 2013.

1. 3mrhythm

3mrhythm

I currently use a ev15L built into a flight case.. its a great speaker and pushes a ton of air but i really want to add another speaker to the mix.

is there any benefit to running the two 15" speakers in one cab as opposed to running two single 15" cabs?

I feel like i want the club to feel more of my bass. I cut through really well.. but bands that play larger cabs (8x10) are definitely louder/feel bassier
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Around 6dB from adding another speaker to an old school solid state amp. 3dB adding it to a tube amp.

One huge box is a pain on stairs but otherwise much easier loading into vans and wagons than two big boxes.

Are you playing clubs with full PA? Maybe you need to turn down and have the PA cranked up instead.
  3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

There is no universal answer to this question. The only answer that can be stated with certainty is, "It depends". :meh:

All things being equal, the performance of two 1x15s vs. a single 2x15, of the same make & model, should be quite close. But all things are frequently not equal, so it really depends on the specific cabs in question.

MM
  4. 3mrhythm

3mrhythm

most of the shows we play we dont use the PA.. we're instrumental and usually have a great sound without using the PA.

i use a v4 head which doesnt have a DI .. they could always mic me. i was di'd a few times at a couple clubs with my sm400 head. but usually we are loud enough without the PA
  5. 3mrhythm

3mrhythm

there needs to exist, such a place, where you can bring your gear and whole band to a room and try everything on the market lol.
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The V4 might appreciate a 4 ohm load as opposed to 8 ohm.

I wouldn't scrap the single cab to make a 2x15, just make another identical one with another EV15L. It'll give a bigger sound, not 8x10 loud but getting there and with better distribution of tone than 8x10.
  7. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

2 1x15s are easier to transport.
  8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Yes and no.

2x15 makes it mandatory to get help on stairs, so safer than struggling with big 1x15's, and they tip / slide into vehicles.
  9. dmusic148

dmusic148

This.
  10. 3mrhythm

3mrhythm

thats what i was thinking..

current cab
    [​IMG]

another pic of it being used with my v4

[​IMG]

i really want to find a way to fit 2 15" speakers in this .. jsut not sure how to go about designing the cab so it sounds good.
    [​IMG]

it cant be as easy as making a box, bracing it, leaving a port at the bottom and calling it a day.. can it? lol

if i were to build a 2x15 would it be best to have the speakers in separate ported chambers or sharing a ported cabinet?

lol i guess that is the route of this question.. brainstorming some more
  11. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

That chest should be left alone to age gracefully. Bass will shake it apart and stuff your drivers.

That little 15 in road case seems a lot on the small side. The TL606 design is what you want for the EV.
  12. 3mrhythm

3mrhythm

i was thinking of building a cab that essentially slides into the chest ..using the chest as a shell..

certainly not needed.. but it would look sweet.

The ev15L in the cab is setup sorta strange.. well i think it is.

the face that the speaker is attached to is mounted to a wooden box that is opened to the inside of the flight case. So there is no wood inside the flight case.. the face is set up with a 2" gap on the bottom that acts as a vent.

Its interesting and sounds pretty good..

if i remember right the inside is about 17x17x17 (or 19ish with the port space on the last dimension)

i've made plenty of car audio cabinets (usually sealed) but have never made a bass cab for playing purposes.
  13. 3mrhythm

3mrhythm

3/4" birch plywood ideal for the tl606 setup?
  14. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

These days they are building them in 1/2" with more braces.
  15. 3mrhythm

3mrhythm

Maybe i will build one and put the 15L i have now into it and see how it sounds. maybe it will sound and feel better in a proper setup. then if I like it i could make another one to match it. if our band had something than our guitarist station wagon for transport i'd just pony up the dough and get an 8x10 or two 4x10 .. but i have to keep things compact for easier transport.

usually we can fit in his saturn wagon

1 mesa 4x10 cab
    1 beringer 4x10 slant
    mesa dual rec head
    huges ketner statesman 12" combo amp
    large pedal case
    my v4 bass head
    my flight case cab.

then we put a couple guitars and two pedal boards in another car.

it would be nice to make the 15 cabs in such a way that they fit better in the car to free up more room for more gear... since none of us can afford a van right now for better transport
  16. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

so it's a speaker on a front panel, somehow floated with foam inside a road case?

man, i have to think that same speaker in a real cab that's tuned for it, without the foam isolating it from the floor losing more low end, would sound way stronger.

one 15" actual proper bass cab would probably crush two of whatever the heck that is.

probably lighter, too.
  17. 3mrhythm

3mrhythm

i'm guessing you are right... i guess i will be buying some wood :p
  18. klejst

klejst

I would say a single 2x15 would be a little easier to move around and perhaps load in and out. However with the two single 15's it gives you that option to use both or just one when need be. As long as they both are the same then there should not be a whole lot of difference, but yeah there is no real answer to this. Personal preference is really the best answer really.
  19. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / non compensated Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    I've used 2 15s my whole career (46 years).... either in one 2X15 Box or 2 1X15 boxes... the only thing I can say is they both sound pretty much the same (all things being equal) but 2 1X15s are easier to move and load...... New Neo speakers make that even more apparent...

my current rig

Attached Files:

20. lixisoft

lixisoft

Keep them single. I have 2 2x15 EVTL cabs @ 4 ohms each, and 2 1X15 EVTL cabs @ 8 ohms each. I prefer the 1X15 cabs......they are easier to move and sound the same as a 2X15 cab when I stack them.

Now days 2 1X15 cabs are more than enough and sound the same as a 2X15 cab..........but the singles are easier to move and in many rooms I use just 1 1X15 cab.........but I have to elevate it on a stand or chair so I can hear it. On big gigs with bass in the monitor mix, I lay a 1X15 on the floor in front of me, like a vocal monitor.

I'm too old to hump all this stuff any more ;)