1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

which is the best comp pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by superatom, Jun 24, 2013.

1. superatom

superatom

which is the best comp pedal
    BJFE deluxe comp is good?

2. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

There's litterally millions of threads here on the subject and they all include this link at one point or another:
    http://www.ovnilab.com/, by TBer Bongomania.

That's the place to start.

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot

+1, after I visited his site, I was able to make an informed decision. No regrets.

4. Tim_Mofunk

Tim_Mofunk

This is really the best place to do your research. 'Best' is fairly subjective and your 'best' option will depend on your taste/budget.

In my opinion a floor mounted UAD Fairchild 670 would be better than any other compressor I have ever used. ;)

FWIW I currently have an empress on my board and love it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Another vote for the Empress. The MXR M87 gets a lot of love too.

Those are compressors that do the job without imposing any special character of their own though, and that is not necessarily what everyone wants. The Ovnilab site is highly recommended reading.

7. Kazoo_Legend

Kazoo_Legend Supporting Member

Probably the place to end too. It was for me and I ended up getting the Markbass Compressore. It draws a lot of current, which is probably the only drawback unless using it's dedicated power supply is of no issue to you. It takes up two slots with a current doubler on my Chameleon Fuel Tank to get it enough juice, so I put a mini power strip under my board to power both separately, so it's understandable why it's not the most popular. However, this is seemingly it's only drawback. They're fairly inexpensive used ($140-$160) and the tone when it's compressing is glorious. Knowing how a compressor works takes some understanding of how a signal works. Every has a compressor they swear by, including me. After trying a few out, I saw a used MB up for $150 and I went to Bongo's Ovnilab comp link, read his review, and have not looked back since. It's the longest standing pedal on my board and it'll probably be one of the last to leave.