Which JJ pickup set sounds most like PJ set?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dannnnn, Jan 8, 2014.

1. dannnnn

dannnnn Supporting Member

I know there isn't a set of J-housing pickups that sounds exactly like a PJ set, but what would get me close? I like my jazz bass, but it doesn't sit in the mix as well as my PJ setup does. From what I've been reading, a set of DiMarzio model J's might be good, or possibly some other split coil design. Suggestions?

Thanks!
  2. Wolffgang

Wolffgang

A slight diversion from what you're asking specifically, but I think a J wired in series goes a long way toward getting that tone, if you might be willing to try that? Assuming you do your own wiring, all you need is a push-pull pot and a few minutes with a soldering iron to give it a go and see if you like it, certainly a lot less than buying new pickups straight away.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

SGD Jazzbuckers. They are dual coil humbuckers so in series they sound like a P and in parallel they sound like a J. I'm not just saying that just because i have one for sale. I'd actually rather have another one to put in my Spector which currently has....

...DiMarzio Area J's wired exactly like that and they sound great. So if you can't find a complete set of used SGD's (wait times can vary on a new set) any of the 4 conductor DiMario's would be excellent.
  4. dannnnn

I thought the Area J set was supposed to sound more traditional. I have considered series wiring for the stock set as well. Rothstein offers a prewired harness with a 5 way coil switch.
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

Well, a P/J is pretty traditional :)
  6. dannnnn

It seems like I keep coming back to the model J set. I know I'll lose some top end, but I have a brighter sounding amp now.
  7. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

YUP
  8. dannnnn

Will a tonestyler (varitone) work with series wiring?
  9. dannnnn

10. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

My 1st thought was original Di Marzio Model J . I have these in a Fretless j with a John East Retro J p and love them. I 'm more of a p guy and these can get me closer to that tone.
  11. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

The push /pull series / parallel mod is a good choice as well . I have this on my passive Fretless jazz with SCN pickups and in series creates a passable p facsimile .