1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which Lakland should I buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzbass1967, Dec 8, 2013.

?

My next Lakland purchase?

1. 55-60

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. 55-02

21 vote(s)
    63.6%
  3. 55-01

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. jazzbass1967

jazzbass1967 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist- La Bella Strings
    I'm going to a 5 string and I've narrowed my options down to three Laklands. The 55-64 and DJ5 didn't make it into the final showdown. Let me know which one of these I should buy.

It's going to be used for everything from Country music in smoky honky-tonks to "variety band" private gigs to sessions.

I love passive jazz basses but I also love Stingrays and active basses. The only thing I'm not real big on at the moment is a Pbass tone (just got rid of one).

Chime in!
  2. nyangsw

nyangsw

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Supporting Member

55-02 if keeping stock.
    55-01 if you want to upgrade the electronics.

I voted 55-01 because a properly upgraded 55-01 gives you more sounds than a 55-02, which is limited to only a jazz sized pickup in the neck. The soapbar sizes in the 55-01 can do anything you want.
  4. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Supporting Member

Agree with mmbongo, I think that is a good way to approach the decision.
  5. oboylebass

oboylebass

...plus on the 55-01 and 55-02 you can run them in passive mode. I have a Skyline JO5 which I love, great basses!!!!
  6. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

+2

Although, I wouldn't be so quick to ditch those -01 electronics. Call me lucky, but the stock MK-1 setup in my 55-01 is a great, versatile tool for me. I run it passive, or active with only a slight bump in the bass. Works for a lot of music styles (pop,rock, slap, country, etc.)...
  7. SRFSterling5

SRFSterling5

I've got a 55-02. I changed the pickups to Norstrands and have a Mike Pope Flexcore preamp withe the low mid/high mid option
    and it gives me a lot more tonal flexibility. You can get pretty close to the Musicman vibe, but less of the clank. Fellow talkbass member Munjibunga did a few of these conversions and was kind to answer my questions on the conversion. The stock LH3
    Electronics are good, the conversion takes it up a few notches tonally.
  8. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

I've got a 55-94, which is the 55-02's older brother. The 55-94 can cop numerous sounds and is a versatile tone machine. The 55-02 shares heritage with the 55, so it gets my vote!
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

The 55-02 or 55-94 are the obvious choices.
  10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

55-60 if you like passive jazz basses. Best passive 35" Jazz for the bucks, IMHO.
  11. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

The 55-02 is the jack of all trades.
  12. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

If you are looking for tonal variety...go for a 55-02...

If you like a passive J sound...55-60. ( you can always add a pre-amps BUT the 55-02 has more variability).
  13. inate_hex

inate_hex

I had a 44-02, it was ok but my Musicman bongo blew it out the water so I traded it. I found it to be a jack of all trades - master of none. The playability was superb but I never bonded with the bass.
  14. jazzbass1967

jazzbass1967 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist- La Bella Strings
    Bought a 55-02 from a fellow Tb'er.
  15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

Play all 3, and buy the one you like.
    It's your money.
  16. ShowKing

ShowKing