1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Which lightweight head around 300 euros?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by irakliszs, Feb 4, 2014.

1. irakliszs

irakliszs

Hello there!
    I know its a well discussed subject but i decided to open a new thread a little more specific and updated.

Im in the search of head and cab. I am trying to decide which amp head is for me, unfortunately local stores stock nothing anymore so i have to guess.

I want it to:
    1) Handle rehearsals at reasonable volumes, and small clubs, reasonable volumes again
    2) Be lightweight and small to carry
    3) A limiter or compressor would be much appreciated but not vital
    4) DI out, post
    5) If it has 2 outputs it would be a plus because i wont have to buy a 4ohm cab that will be useless if i want to use 2 cabs later
    6) I play mostly funky/soul stuff and pshycedelic stoner (not too heavy)
    7) I use a Squier VM Jaguar bass (http://www.fender.com/en-GR/basses/jaguar/vintage-modified-jaguar-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-black/)
    8) budget for the head around 300 euros

Models i have read reviews about, with the cons for me:
    1) GK MB200 (no master vol, maybe hiss, only 1 spkr output)
    2) TC BH250 (no tube drive as the combos, only 1 spkr output)
    3) MB little mark 250 blackline (bigger, maybe not sound oriented as my needs)
    4) Fender Rumble 350 (old) (bigger, "entry level" sound, maybe DI not post EQ)
    5) Fender Rumble 200 (new) (not yet available, no reviews)
    6) Carvin BX250 (hard to find, a bit more expensive)
    7) Ampeg PF350 (many reliability issues)

I would appreciate your opinions to help me decide!
    If i forget an amp that fits my general needs, feel free to point it out
    Sorry for the big post

:bassist:

2. el murdoque

el murdoque

Instead of the MB Little Mark Blackline i'd go for a used LMII or LMIII. They should be within your budget and give you a dry reproduction of how your instrument sounds.
    I could live with the Markbass as my only amp, though i'm playing mostly indi rock and reggae atm.
    You don't need two speaker outputs to connect 2 or more speakers to the head, as long as the speakers you use have a second in/output. You can connect the second speaker to the first.

3. irakliszs

irakliszs

this is very useful info, dude, thanks a lot!

i would go with the amps you say if i could find them used. The only problem is that in my country i can fint little bass gear used, even less amps except old heavy transistor amps, and if its kinda new class d, its going to be only 50 euros down at this price point. People gone mad

the problem with the markbass is that its goint to reproduce the sound of my instrument. First, my insturment is a bass of 350 euros, and second, im not sure i want that hifi sound, i like warm mid rangey tones i would say. If the markbass can do that, it will be ok with me

4. caligula

caligula

Have you considered Marshall amps? Not really micro like Markbass, Gallien Krueger, Tecamp and others, but very solid amps, plenty loud and they can give you a mid-heavy tone.
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/marshall_mb450h.htm

This could be another alternative, However, EBS is not exactly mid-heavy, has a lot of highs, strong top end, rather clean tone.
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/ebs_reidmar.htm

If you have to keep it around 300 €, you should definitely look for second hand amps.
    I don't know where you're located, but in Germany you can see micros quite often, a lot of them not too expensive. ... however, to be honest, 300€ is not a lot.
    Good luck.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    Maybe you can find an Aguilar Tone Hammer 350 secondhand for around the price you want to pay, that would be the perfect amp. As mentioned, having only one speaker out on the amp is not a problem.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Just as an fyi, your choice of speaker cab will determine your overall volume and a lot of your tone. Imo, it matters more than the amp, though you'll want to choose each based on tone, as much as anything else. Not knowing exactly what IS available to you makes it difficult to make any further suggestions though.

8. irakliszs

irakliszs

thank you very much guys for the replies!

I want a micro head to carry it around easily as i move with motorbike.
    I believe that the cab maybe is of much bigger importance for my tone, but i dont give it a priority now because for the time being i can plug my head in cabinets that stay in a studio, or just a PA just to get the job done. Later, ill consider to buy a good cab.

I live in Greece and i can find almost nothing stocked in stores and almost nothing in local classifieds, and if i find, for sure i cant buy with my money an amp like the tone hammer.

So im looking for something that fits into a backpack and its power (paired with a decent cab, later) can be enough for my needs of practice, rehearsal and small clubs.

What do you guys say about the "old" rumbles? The 350 has the features, i think it has enough power, it is portable, i havent heard any reliability issues but i cant find a serious demo. Maybe its a good deal or i should wait for the new 2014 rumbles to come out?

thanks again!

9. irakliszs

irakliszs

shameless bump :(

i read more and more about the ampeg pf series and it seems like the usual reliability issues are more common in 500 watt version. Maybe the 350 is reliable enough?

I tend to be currently between the Markbass LM250BL, the Ampeg PF350 and the Rumble 350.

I cant find decent reviews/demos of the rumble, neither the pf350, only the 500 and they have different preamps and features

any input?

thanks!

10. Linnin

Linnin

Hi irakliszs! Great question. I'm very pro Fender, and I like their Rumble bass amps very much. I have a Rumble 350 head that I run into a pair of Rumble 112 cabs. The sound is excellent and totally professional in every way. I also use a Rumble 75 for personal practice and small gigs in a jazz duo. I've never had a moments problem with either amp and they have both been utterly reliable; road-worthy and gig worthy. I think you would be very happy with any Rumble that suits your needs.

11. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

I've been liking my Eden WTX500 so far. A bit of fan noise, but nothing you'd notice when playing live. Nice EQ, pre/post DI (that sounds great), 500w @ 4 ohms, and weighs 4 lbs.

Used, it would be well within your range.

Also , the Aguilar Tonehammers are very nice.

12. irakliszs

irakliszs

thank you very much for the replies!

Linnin, the XLR output of the rumble 350 is a pre or post EQ? So you think i havent got much to gain if I wait till the new 2014 rumbles come at the street?

Dark Horse, i always keep an eye on classifieds, and if something better that suits my needs comes up within my budget, ill definitely check it out!

13. Linnin

Linnin

the XLR out is post EQ. When do you think the new Rumbles will be available in Greece? It might not be for a few more months. The Rumble 500 head will likely be 500 Euros. If you can pick up a Rumble 350 now for 300 Euros that would be a good bargin. If the Rumble 150 head suits your volume needs you might consider that alternative also.

14. irakliszs

irakliszs

i think they will be available in a couple of months. I believe the 150 is kinda low wattage, if im going for one of them, ill get the 350.

But still have to get some info about ampeg's PF-350 reliability and the Markbass LM250BL's loudness and sound characteristics before i decide...

15. Wagz

Wagz

Overton Flyweight ticks all the boxes you listed. Nice little amp head with very flexible ins and outs. Has two speakon outs, a DI, an effects loop and a tuner out.

16. irakliszs

irakliszs

i read about this overton in a review but the company seems to be a ghost, i dont know where to order, and I dont know the price with import fees if its from USA. I also dont know much for its sound, unfortunately.

17. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Product page at the company website (but I guess it already came up in your search).
    I've been able to find one faint trace of this amp having been sold in Europe at one point:
    http://www.fanaticguitars.com/en/overton-flyweight-200.html
    You might try to enquire (with both or either) about the future availability and the possibility of having it shipped to your location.
    I'm vaguely interested too, but the product is, if not exactly vapourware (I'm aware of a number of TBers who own it or have in the past), at least elusive.

18. irakliszs

irakliszs

thats why im a bit sceptical about overtons.

I would prefer something more main stream/known just in case.

I am still between the three (Rumble350, LM250BL, PF350) I will keep on reading reviews and comments till only one stays!