1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which Low Gain Overdrive pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cnltb, Feb 5, 2014.

1. cnltb

cnltb

Title says it...which is your favourite low gain OD?

Thanks!
    :)
  2. Marlat

Marlat Gold Supporting Member

BJFE Blueberry Bass Over Drive. Still the best and i've tried loads. The MP version doesn't come close.

My other topic picks since a Blueberry is super hard to find is the [sfx] Red Dragon. Still, every time I put on the BBBOD it puts a smile on my face.
  3. chaosmic

chaosmic Supporting Member

smallsound/bigsound Mini or an Earthquaker Devices Monarch are my top choices for low-gain OD.
  4. pantherairsoft

pantherairsoft

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe, GigRig, COG Effects
    Fuzzrocious BDPG still does it for me every time.
  5. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Xotic BB Preamp (at low gain settings) is looking like my overall favorite thus far, after trying tons of them. Barber Gain Changer is also a solid and versatile choice, although it is more midrangey and less bass-heavy than the BB. Both of those are also great choices since they have a reasonable amount of volume, gain, and tone-shaping options so they can be used either as a plain low-gain pedal or for other applications.

Darkglass VMT is a good choice if you want more of a vintage tone, but I found that it colored my sound too much. I couldn't bond with the Blueberry myself... like most ODs, I found that I couldn't find a sweet spot that preserved enough low end while maintaining drive and ability to cut through.
  6. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

Fairfield Barbershop (and Accountant!), EQD Monarch (especially at higher voltage), Catalinbread WIIO, Recovery 9-volt Disaster and Electric (these are real sleepers IMO).
  7. cnltb

cnltb

You'd use the accountant as an OD pedal?
    I almost ordered one last night...perhaps I should have.

the 9 volt disaster looks real nice too(I like the 2 pots only thing!)-need to find clips of it, I recon.
    Where are the differences between the electric and the 9 volt disaster?

Thanks to all for the tips thus far!
  8. irvinz

irvinz

Disclosures:
    has too much gas
    barber ltd sr, catalinbread sft, tone factor cream pie, catalinbread WIIO
  9. MightyMiloQuinn

Yes. It provides some distortion especially at higher levels of compression. It got me to sell all of the above pedals.
  10. MightyMiloQuinn

I don't know that there are any clips of the 9VD anywhere other than the official ad. I came across this the other day, a pretty good deal: http://bit.ly/1exCjH8
    Not affiliated with the sale, just always keeping my eyes open for these.
  11. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I guess I sorta like them all.
  12. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Fuzzrocious Dark Driving. It also has a bright option via footswitch for a different flavor.
  13. Sidewinder IV

Sidewinder IV Supporting Member

Fulltone Bass-Drive, Way Huge Pork Loin, Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop (as previously mentioned), JHS Low Drive...I've used each of them with success. The Bass-Drive is my always on pedal and then I build from there.
  14. cnltb

cnltb

Thanks! I sent a message to the seller...
    Do you know if how far the 9vd is different from the electric( what does the toggle atop the pedal do? etc)?
  15. Swift713

Swift713

+1 for the BJFE Blueberry. I haven't owned a lot of overdrives because I lucked into the Blueberry early but I also liked the SFT for a different flavor.
  16. MightyMiloQuinn

The major differences are that the 9VD is only powered by battery (I used a battery clip adapter) and it has some level of distortion throughout its gain range. The Electric is a copy of the Emerson Em Drive. It's a clean boost with distortion after 3 o'clock on the gain knob. The switch toggles between 2 different transistors, one being brighter than the other. And it can be powered by a typical 9V adaptor or battery.
  17. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, the Fairfield barbershop, ROG Ginger, Catalinbread WIIO & RAH, and the Creation Audio Labs Holy Fire are all great at getting lo gain overdrive tones.
  18. Konigstiger22

Konigstiger22

Fuzzrocious BDPG! Literally sounds like my Ampeg B100r
  19. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

Yep
  20. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

Me, Im a big fan of the Fulltone OCD. Im giving the Joyo Ultimate Drive a shot for a while though. Other favorites include but are not limited to the dark driving, VMT, ODB3 (if its running through my B7K of course :) ) and the Brimstone Audio XD1 set to low gain. Crushes. Outside of those, I havent tried some of the favorites here on TB, some I have, but other I havemt like the Barbershop, red dragon or SFT. Always wanted to, maybe someday.