1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which Metal E with Weedwackers?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by TheEmptyCell, Jan 9, 2014.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Supporting Member

OK, I built a 4 string, upright, washtub bass and strung it with some weedwacker strings. The E string sucks, so I'd like to swap it out for a metal one. Currently looking at D'addario Helicore, any other suggestions? Obviously it doesn't have to have the greatest, most expensive E, just something that speaks better with decent tone.
  2. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

Try Innovation Silver Slaps. You might even want to get a whole set.
  3. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

I've run a steel E under whackers and wouldn't recommend it. Maybe an A tuned down to E, which will exert less force on the top and give you less sound.
  4. iiipopes

iiipopes

There are those who believe that only a Spiro of the appropriate gauge (solo tuned down, weich, mittel, stark, etc., in either 3/4 or 4/4 size, or a "bumped" A-string as set forth above) is the only "real" E string for anything.

That said, an Innovation product might be a better match in the OP's situation.
  5. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Or a LaBella Supernil E, which isn't bad under whackers.
  6. Paddy109

Paddy109

Silver or golden slap A bumped?
  7. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

I wouldn't recommend using an Innovation Slap A string downtuned to E. That would rattle a lot and give low output. The Innovation slap strings already have low tension in normal tuning.

iiipopes talked about a bumped SPIRO!

My Silver Slap E has about the same tension as a bit lower tension gut string (Efrano Elite set mixes well).

I never tried the Golden Slaps, but read that they are a bit thicker (maybe closer to naked gut).
  8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Supporting Member

Thanks for the recommendations, lots to think about. The current nylon strings just quietly goes thud, and it's hard to tell the difference between Any note from open til about A.
  9. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/The Bass Spa, String Repairman/L & M Vancouver
    Innovation Golden Slaps are exactly the same gauge and construction as Innovation Silver Slaps.

The only difference is in the colour of the under-wrap. ;)