1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which Metronome Are You Using?...and Why?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ZenG, Dec 29, 2013.

1. ZenG

ZenG

Electronic?...or the good ol' mechanical swing-arm version?

The swing-arm isn't as versatile IMO but you may disagree...

And why would you prefer a met over any machine that can play drumtracks?

With drumtracks they sound closer to real life where a met just goes "tick-tick" and doesn't give you the nuances of drumriffs....

was looking at some fancy electronic Korg mets and also one made by Cherub that is no longer produced...

I didn't like the "talking" metronomes.......
  2. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I use the metronome in my B3. It also has drum loops 40 in all including the metronome loops. Sometimes I use just the metronome which does the standard tick tock but also does the accents in 4/4, 3/4 and 5/4 time and other times I will use one of the beats. For me between the great DI, the 12 amp models, the tuner, the 99 effects including pre amps, the 40 second looper.. which is another great practice tool, the USB interface.. and the metronome/drum machine the B3 is the biggest no brainer for any bassist. The DI, amp models, preamp patches, compressors and tuner alone are worth it .. but factoring all that other stuff in a footprint that measures 170(D)x234(W)x54(H)mm (@6.5x9x2.1") and is 1.2 kg (2.6 lbs) without the 4 AA batteries and it also comes with a power supply... all for $200 .. or less if you get it used or on sale it is without a doubt the best $$ I have spent on any bass accessory counting amps or cabs..
  3. Bainbridge

Bainbridge

Electronic. Korg makes good ones. Find one with a click that won't bug you. If you're interested in knowing, the "UREI" click is the standard in the orchestral and film scoring world. You'll be hard pressed to find a UREI 964, but the click itself is sampled in a number of libraries.

4. ZenG

ZenG

Who makes "B3"?
  5. Sav'nBass

6. ZenG

ZenG

Had a look at the Zoom site and I think I like that.......:cool:
  7. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

The B3 is a great piece of gear! I picked one up for myself as a birthday present this year, and have been pretty impressed with everything it can do for the price. The effects are all pretty good usable sounds (aside from the Bomber... Uhhhhhhh.... Not sure I'd ever find a use for that one... Lol) and the phrase sampler, DI and rhythm trainer are all great features as well.

As for a metronome, it's about what you prefer. A drum machine or the rhythm trainer of the B3 are great tools, but so is a standard metronome. I used a Boomerang+ for a number of years and that did wonders for my sense of time. I would just sit in the basement for hours and make loops. Getting them looped and stacked correctly really sharpens your inner clock.

That said, the metronome I currently use the most is an Android phone app called Metronome 2 (by Flying Saucer Apps, I think for $.99). I do like the Zoom for looping/rhythm stuff, but it's not my main pedal setup, so I don't always have it with me. I ALWAYS have my phone with me!

5sg.
  8. Sav'nBass

Lol.. yeah I found the Bomber kind of a "what the ..!" as well..
  9. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

I'll add that while metronomes of any sort are good for developing your sense of time, getting out and jamming with good drummers (and musicians in general) will develop your feel, which is just as important as a good sense of time. :bassist:

5sg.
  10. stratovani

stratovani

I use a software-based metronome called Weird Metronome. I like it because I'm always sitting in front of my computer when practicing, and it's a versatile metronome with different percussion instruments available, and i use one that sounds closest to a mechanical metronome. Here's where it's at:

http://www.weirdmetronome.com/

It's real small, and real free! ;)
  11. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

I use my trusty old Tama RW100. Loud enough that I can also use it for sax. My only gripe with it is that its slowest tempo is at 35bpm. Which is still too fast for some metronome drills I do.
  12. Manichga

Manichga

I use Dr Betotte app on the ipad. Connect up to a speaker so it's loud enough for bass and drums practise. I was sick of changing batteries when my kids left the metronome on. This fixes that problem. Dr betotte does everything I need it to do. I don't care what anyone says, we all need to practise with a metronome!
  13. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

When I'm at home, just a random metronome on the internet :p

Otherwise my drummer has one, though I don't know which one it is.
  14. ericicf

ericicf

Peterson Strobo PlusHD . Tuner & metronome.
    Really well thought out, professional quality,easy to use features.
    USB friendly
  15. ryco

ryco

use a little electric metronome sometimes. Have an old swing arm met, but swear there actually is a little "swing" (unbalanced) feel to it. Drives me crazy, so never use it.

Mostly use an old Roland TR-505 out in the shed. My best friend!
  16. mambo4

mambo4

I use a basic battery powered clicking metronome.
    No strong / weak beats, time sigs, etc... just a steady click pulse.
    I like the fact that it makes me work to maintain awareness of the downbeat.
    I find loops and drum machine patterns can be a bit more "forgiving" to my ear when I play sloppy.
    The simple pulse enforces a kind of 'ownership' of my precision, IMHO.
  17. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I use a very nice free one on my smartphone
  18. Lownote38

Lownote38

Mine was free too. It's in my head. I don't have to stop playing to change the tempo on it. :D
  19. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I have the Jeff Berlin Signature Metronome...
  20. Lownote38

Lownote38

Wow! That's what mine's called too! Weird! :bag: