1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which Micro head for gig backup - tiny and 200+ watts?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by don21480, Feb 1, 2014.

1. don21480

don21480 Supporting Member

So I want a tiny micro head as a backup amp for gigs. Needs to be 200+ watts, $200+/-, and small enough to go in a gig bag. GK - MB200 comes to mind - any others?
  2. Bmorefoozler

Bmorefoozler

Traynor, Carvin and TC all make similar 200-250 watt heads in that general size and price range.
  3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Relax... Nothing Is Under Control. Supporting Member

mb200... sounds great, good vol. and cheap via tb classifieds.
  4. nick98338

nick98338

Ampeg PF-350. Full street price is $299, but can be found for closer to $250. 250 watts into 8 ohms, 350 watts into 4 ohms.
  5. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

other than what's already been said, the MB200 also fits in the pocket of most gig bags. I carried one around for a couple years this way. I can't think of any smaller sized amp head with the parameters the OP needs/wants. Maybe a MB F1, but you're not talking $200 there, even for a good used one.
  6. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Keep the MB200 in mind. It's ideal for this purpose. I play quieter venues with it and a Portbass 12 all the time.
  7. MyMusic

MyMusic

8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Don, MB200 resides permanently in the little side pocket of my shoulder bag that goes with me everywhere a bass goes ... it actually seems to be getting more than back-up use these days though .. ;)
  9. CElton

CElton Supporting Member

Tone Hammer 350.
  10. JGbassman

JGbassman

Just a thought. I would make sure your back up is rated for at least the same wattage/power as your main amp. Same to be said for the ohm loading. I carry a mb800 as a back up for my SVT CL head. Its light, packs easily in my gig bag and is always there to ward off the gremlins. I cant comment on the other amps, but gk's stuff is solid and is perfect for pushing those 810's if called upon in my situation. Ive played through the mb200 in a 212 cabinet and it sounded great. That would be my vote if that's the sound you are looking for.
  11. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Yup!
  12. Jaycephas

Jaycephas Supporting Member

TC Electronic BH-250. Fits the bill exactly.
  13. edencab

edencab

14. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    +1

I bought an Aguilar TH350 for just this purpose: as a 'backup' that actually fit in a gigbag or breifcase. I've ended up using it a LOT as my main amp though! Killer tone, overengineered (especially the power section) and so small and light!
  15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Get a used Genz-Benz SHuttle 3.0 or 6.0. Both have more power than you need and weigh 3.75 pounds. They sound fantastic and are excellent quality.
  16. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

GB Shuttle 6.2 for 399.00 at Amzon right now. I know it's a little more money but it's a LOT more amp. 600w.

If that's too much the Carvin BX250 rocks. Great EQ section for dialing in the clarity and punch.
  17. don21480

don21480 Supporting Member

A lot of good choices here. I've never been able to connect to the Genz Benz tone - have tried many of their heads and they just don't work for me. I have a Tonehammer 500 and its awesome so maybe the 350. The Carvin is interesting. The GK MB200 is something I had in the past and sold, maybe a little too hasty but its so tiny that its a candidate for sure. What is the absolute smallest micro head out there?
  18. Jaycephas

Jaycephas Supporting Member

A toss up - the GK MB200, an Overton Flyweight 200, a Carvin BX250 Micro Bass or an Eden WTX-264?
  19. corndog

corndog

Promethean P300h.

Fits in my gig-bag, 300 watts, weighs a few pounds.

This unit punches well above its weight.
  20. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

You can buy the Carvin and send it back within 10 days if you don't like it. The deep fat tones are in there but you have to know how to use the semi-parametric EQ.

That being said if you like the TH500 and want to go cheap, the Ampeg is probably more your sound.