Which of these 5-string basses should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuicideSeason, Feb 23, 2014.

1. SuicideSeason

SuicideSeason

I've been playing bass for nearly 5 years, but I've never gotten a second bass; I've always had my 4-string Ibanez that came in one of those "Jumpstart" packages. It's a good bass, but I think it's time to make the upgrade to the 5-string (been wanting one for a long time). Problem is, I'm on a budget of around $200. I've been looking around the internet & I've come across these (I'm not in a band and I don't gig, so it shouldn't matter if any of these are giggable or not):

Rogue LX205B:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Rogue-LX205B-5-String-Series-III-Electric-Bass-Guitar-H11149-i1549554.gc

Dean Edge 09:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Edge-09-5-String-Bass-104221015-i1147920.gc

ESP LTD B-5JR:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-B-5JR-Short-scale-5-string-Bass-Guitar-107409948-i2745245.gc

Squier Affinity Jazz V:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-Affinity-5-String-Jazz-Bass-V-104482054-i1173424.gc

If anyone could tell me if they have any experience in any of these basses, or just their opinion on which one I should get, then I thank you in advance. :)
  2. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

There's a used Schecter Diamond series 5 string used on EBay right now with a buy it now of $199 and $38 shipping so if your budget can come up $37.75 THATS what I reccomend!
  3. chinmullet

chinmullet

4. but_ch

but_ch

I'd vote for the Squier. I have played one and it felt and sounded great!
  5. Apolicious

Apolicious

6. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Also take a look at the 5 stringers on www.rondomusic.com. LOTS of info on TB about SX (search for essex) basses.
  7. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Are you sure it was the Affinity? I was shopping for a Jazz-bodied 5er to mount a Roland GR-3B, and bought a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz 5 after trying a number of different Squier and MiM Fender Jazz 5s, and the Affinity was a definite cut below the others - not surprising at the price point. I think the Squier *could* be the best option, because the components are most easily upgradable over time, but you'd definitely want to try out a few of them and pick the one that was best built and finished.
  8. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Why don't you save a little more, and check out an Ibanez SR305 - they're fantastic basses for the money having the super nice SR5 thin neck, body sculpting, and an active 3-band EQ?

The lower end LTD B series aren't bad either, but the necks are considerably thicker than the SR or go used like others have said.

I just don't think you (or anyone for that) will be happy for very long with a cheapo bass.
  9. but_ch

but_ch

Sid, you're right. But I got the impression that the OP wasn't going to have hands on all of them. Could be wrong. If so, my advice would be as yours.

I did play an Affinity 5 and was shocked at how good it played and sounded. For and finish was nearly as good as the MIM next to it. And the 2 tone burst was killer.
  10. Bredian

Bredian

Used is the better play at your level of experience...usually at half of what you'd pay new or better...I'd rather pay $200 for a used $400-800 bass than a new $200 bass.

.. almost bought one of those Schecters as they have a 35" scale... and are typically closer to $300-400 (bought Spector instead)

The Ibanez's are very nice also.... have played 280s and 300s a bunch, and know a guy who's gigged and Ergodyne 5 for several years.
  11. MIMJAZZ

MIMJAZZ

Save up man. Dont waste your money on non-quality stuff
  12. SuicideSeason

SuicideSeason

Thanks for the responses, guys. I've decided I'll save up a bit and maybe check out that SR305 Solarmist was talking about.
  13. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

14. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

+1 on the Affinity. It's a very nice bass for not much money.
  15. Chico16

Chico16

$200 for a 5 string is severely cutting down your options man. You should save a little more first. As it's been said already, your best option would be to go used. However, if you're like me, you want all your gear to be brand new ;) just save up some more so you can get the best for your money. You've been playing for 5 years, I think it's time you get something better than a Squier affinity. Check out the Ibanez basses. I play an SR605 and it's awesome. The SR series even the bottom of the line ones are great never heard a bad review on any. Happy hunting!
  16. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Buy used. Pawn Shops, Craigslist, etc. You will get older higher quality bass selection in the same price range… and a few nice scores if patient.
    happy gassing,
    fnord!
  17. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U

I think you should save up a couple hundred more, then look for something second hand.
  18. garp

garp

Another vote for delaying your purchase to allow more time to feed the piggy bank.

If the Jazz look and sound appeals to you, the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V retails for a little over a hundred bucks more. And if don’t mind going used, another hundred bucks or so on top of that can get you into the territory of an MIM Fender Standard Jazz V.
  19. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Oh, yeah! It's a buyers' market and I'm seeing some stellar stuff here in the TB classifieds. The Soundgear 4's & 5's(405's, etc) always caught my eye in terms of features and consistent quality.

Riis
  20. IronSpatula

IronSpatula

Lots of solid advice in this thread. Buy used, buy Ibanez... ;)

I'm not a huge fan of the Affinity series. The Affinity P I started on had pretty terrible fretwork and didn't sound that great. Any Ibanez GSR I've ever played has been significantly better than it was, and about the same price. I haven't played any of the newest Affinities, to be fair.

I'm not an Ibanez player but they're really hard to beat for value IMHO. You can probably get an SR505 or something similar in the $300 range if you're patient. Those aren't exactly a top-shelf instrument but they're probably good enough for any real-world scenario.

A used Schecter would also be worth looking into.