1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Which of these two cabs to go with Hartke Kilo?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Electrophonic, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Electrophonic

Electrophonic

Hi, guys!

I have to make a decision by the end of the day because of delivery time before a set of gigs that starts next weekend.

The amp is Hartke Kilo. I have tried the Hartke HX410 Hydrive cab with it. I was pretty happy with the combination, but also not used to the "bright attack" in its sound. I am sure I will be happy with this combination.

The other option is the Ampeg PF410HLF. It is available and can be delivered in time, but I can't try it today. It obviously has a deeper sound than the HX410 cab and will give me a different tone.

So what is your opinion? Have you tried both cabs with this amp or a similar amp?

2. inri222

inri222

I have tried both with a Hartke HA3500 and IMO the Hartke HX410 sounds better.

3. Electrophonic

Electrophonic

Ok, thank you. But how would you describe the sound with this Ampeg cab?

4. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I know a lot of people are, but I am not a big fan of the Ampeg sound. Outside of the fridge cab with a big amp, they sound slow and tubby to me. I play through a backline Ampeg 1x15 on a regular gig and I don't really like it.

Why are you limited to only those 2?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Electrophonic

Electrophonic

Thank you for your input. I'm not limited to those two only, but I want to be sure that the cab I order is delivered in time. These two can be delivered in time, guaranteed. That is why. There are 810s and so on available too, but I want them to be easy to move and transport as well.

I want a cab that can give me a warm tone, full range, but not so much the bottom end rumble. Suggestions on 410s with Hartke Kilo are welcome. Order must be placed very soon.

7. David Jayne

David Jayne

Of those two get the Hartke. The HLF is extremely deep in the bass and can lack punch and be difficult to control.

8. inri222

inri222

IMO the Ampeg 410HLF has too much bottom and not enough punch/attack. When it comes to Ampeg 410's I myself prefer the sealed 410HE which tonewise is the opposite of the ported HLF.

9. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

He is talking about Portaflex cabs. Those HLFs are far from as deep sounding as the SVT-410HLF.

10. David Jayne

David Jayne

My bad. I'd still go with the Hartke.

11. Electrophonic

Electrophonic

Thank you all. Very much appreciated. I have to take a gamble here. It was easier when I started 25 years ago and just cranked the Hiwatt rig no matter what. God, I miss it!

12. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Maybe look at the AK410. It has paper speakers instead of the aluminum/paper hybrids. The Hydrive took me sometime to get EQ'd right because it was so bright.

13. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

I have the Hydrive, and it definitely has a bright attack with a flat eq setting on a transparent amp. The Ampegs give a much warmer sound, and that might be closer to what you're looking for.

It really depends on your personal taste and tone, though the Kilo has enough settings to diminish what you don't like and accentuate what you do in either.