1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Which of Your Hands is Better Than the Other?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Icculus, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Icculus

Icculus

My left hand is always way ahead of my right hand in terms of technique. Maybe it's from switching between 4/5 string basses, or playing guitar, or using a pick sometimes, but my right hand often limits what I can get out of my playing.

Just curious if this is the case with most players.

2. Milk

Milk

My right, i always hurt in the wrist when i do it with my le.....oh...you mean for playing? oops sorry.

Well yeah at this point my handicap in becoming a more technically proeficient player (which i dont really care to be) is in the picking hand. the fretting hand (in my case the left) is fast and, generally, precise enough.

3. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    Same here, right hand holding me back. Slap technique needs lots of work, pick technique is virtually non-existent.

I think the right hand - meaning plucking hand - is the more technically demanding in general for bassists.

4. DannyBob

DannyBob

My right hand is much better than my left. I can easily play every rhythm and technique the there really is for it, but my left hand always seems to cramp up after playing lots of octave slap lines. Weird because I'm left handed as well

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lownote38

Lownote38

I try to keep my hands equal.

7. quiltkitty

quiltkitty Supporting Member

My right hand lags behind my left. I can hit the fret but sometimes right is barely connects before the left is on to the next.

8. Slade N

Slade N sunn #91 AZ Bands #? Supporting Member

you might wanna rethink your title

9. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Haha. :D

10. Icculus

Icculus

I'm intentionally perverted and cryptic :eyebrow:

11. eamonn5219

eamonn5219

I played cello for seven years, so my left hand is waaaaay better.

12. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

Me too, but sometimes my hands aren't on the same page as my head.

When I play with a pick, my left hand is faster than my right. When I play using my fingers (I use 4 fingers, including my thumb, spider style), my right hand is faster than my left. lol

13. Marial

Marial Three Weeks of Freedom Start Right NOW Gold Supporting Member

Mine are equally mediocre. :atoz:

14. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Well, my left hand is far ahead of my right for fretting, but the right hand out-plucks the left any day. So I guess they're both "better"?

15. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

My right has always been better than my left. I just don't have the technical dexterity for fretboard acrobatics.
    When I first started years ago as a metal guitarist....my right hand was super fast and precise, where my left faltered. That's why I ended up being a rhythm player.....leads elude me.
    It carried right on over to bass.....

16. Reddog01

Reddog01

I'm an old guitar player, and I have found that the left is much better than the right hand. The carry-over from playing the guitar is very helpful while playing on the frets, but I'm working on the floating thumb technique in the right hand, and I find myself (in the heat of battle) picking with only one finger. I work on it almost every day, but it is coming very slowly for me. I know that it is important to get the finger picking right, so I'll just continue to do the work.