1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which one of these rigs would be better for a two piece (bassist+drummer) band?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by stephen3547, Feb 2, 2014.

1. stephen3547

stephen3547 Supporting Member

Rig 1: Gallien Krueger 700RB-II head and Hartke 410XL cab
    Rig 2: Ampeg PF500 head and PF115HE cab

I use Spector basses, and use a Zoom B3 modeling a Proco Rat, EBS Multicomp, and Sansamp BDDI. I like a midrangey tone with very clear cleans and creamy distortion.
  2. stephen3547

The music is very post-rock and drone metal influenced
  3. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

FWIW: Well, I like G-K, but personally I'm not really a big fan of Hartke cabinets - so, I'd probably go with rig #2.
  4. stephen3547

Ive just heard that if I'm gonna go solid state, I should avoid Ampeg because they really shine with their tube gear but not so much the SS stuff. Maybe GK through a GK or Ampeg cab?
  5. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

I think rig 1 would definitely be the better fit for the tonal goals you described without a doubt.

I have a PF 500 and it is a not as 'clean' sounding as the GK head IMO. Also...I think a 4x10 would better fit your tonal goals than a thumpy sounding 1x15.
  6. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

I would rock that GK/Hartke rig with a big ol' smile...there is NOTHING wrong with that Hartke cab...Pros used them for years....don't drink all the TB Kool-aid just cause someone pours it for ya ;)
  7. Sartori

Sartori

In that case, both.
  8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Lots of people like Hartke cabs, they're just not my thing - and a G-K through a G-K or Ampeg cab would be nice, however, there's really nothing wrong/bad about the SS Ampeg amps either (but personally I like G-K amps).