1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which one sounds better?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by aplusk, Nov 27, 2013.

1. aplusk

aplusk

Hello!
    Please, spend 5 minutes and help me.
    I recorded 2 covers.

The first one: bass was plugged in line input directly and recorded in Audacity. Then I combined video track with my recording in audacity.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cefKkF-nJ44

The second one: I recorded "just as is". I put a camera and started recording. Just adjusted sound on my amp a little. The only thing I did was combining original track with the sound from the camera and lower basses on the original track.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srVgilMOa3k

The thing I want to know: which one sounds better? And any tips to improve my sound?

I have a bass itself, cheap amp and cheap standard soundcard in my PC.
  2. White Beard

White Beard

I would have preferred you playing the same song. Scientifically, you shouldn't change more than one variable.

Different songs require different techniques, and saying which one sounds better is subjective to start with.
  3. aplusk

aplusk

We are not a science community here. And I'm not asking for your scientifically reasonable reply, I'm asking for your emotions mostly, for your preference.

I didn't mean to start a test, I've just found out that I have 2 covers on my chanel with different record settings. I can't decide which one sounds better because I'm not an experienced player.
    That's why I asked it here, hoping for your straight reply and tips for future recordings.
  4. K.Boxingham

K.Boxingham

+1 White Beard, however, I think the first one sounded better. Bass was smoother sounding overall. a little bright in parts, but not as much as the RHCP version.

I have no input for improving the sound, sorry - I've never recorded for youtube purposes. Good luck though.