Which one?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Treyzer, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Treyzer

Treyzer

Well, I opened my gig bad before a gig last night and saw that my Pirasto Olive G string had exploded!:eek: It's lasted a little less than a year and during it's brief life. it always sounded good to great. Luckily, I had a few Spiros to choose from as a temporary replacement and the night went fine, just a little buzzy/twangy in thumb position for my taste. Just spit balling here, thinking out loud. Is the Eudoxa pretty much the same as an Olive? Would an Eva Weich work? What are your thoughts gentleman?

2. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

Condolences- sorry for your loss.

Sonically speaking Eudoxa is a good bit brigher than Oliv- but not harsh or twangy. I prefer Eudoxa, but my bass is rather dark on its own.

I would expect the same life span from either- but Pirastro's wound gut strings can be a bit of a crap shoot for longevity. I had a Eudoxa E that lasted for years, three or four I think- and I had an Oliv A that was good for about fifteen minutes before the windings started to separate! :rollno:

Ya never can tell what they're gonna do till they do it! :)

I would think that an Evah should/could be a pretty close match in most regards- but I am passing on anecdotal information here, I've never tried them on any of my own instruments- but I have played them on other folk's basses.

If you liked the Oliv, I'd say get another one- all strings are gonna break some time! ;)

Good luck with the search!

Joe

3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Yes, try the Evah Weich, Trey. Works for me with spiros.

4. marco zomer

marco zomer

I like the Oliv G above the Eudoxa G. The Oliv has more of a gutsound and a little less tension. I think Oliv G has a wonderful sound both pizz and arco. Best G string I played so far.

I have no experience with Evah Weich G. I played Obligato G, but found it to be rather thin string. I like the gauge of the Oliv.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

On my bass the regular Evah set was a better match to gut, sound wise, but the tension is definitely up there.
    I've found the Evah weich G to be more like a Spirocore G and the regular (medium) Evah G to be more fundamental.

7. Treyzer

Treyzer

Thanks Guys, i really appreciate the input. This truly one of the things that is so great about this site! I ordered another Olive G and as a back up an Eva Weich G. I really do love the way the Olives sound and I'm sure the Eva won't be nearly as twangy as my Spiro back up.

8. TroyK

TroyK Moderator

Unless I'm just not seeing it, you didn't say what your other strings were. The Evah G is a good bet, it definitely won't be twangy. I've come to love the Pirastro Original Flat Chrome G. It's a orchestral string, dark, but clear and has some bounce to it. I also think that the Flexicore G with the purple winding is a nice match with Spirocores. It's a little stiffer or higher tension than the OFC or OLIV, but sonically it's nice. If the rest of your strings are gut too, then I don't think either metal string will be a good choice.