1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Which Overdrive Should I Buy???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by back2thefuture, Mar 25, 2014.

1. back2thefuture

back2thefuture

Like the title says...which should I buy?

1. Darkglass Vintage Microtubes
    2. JHS Moonshine
    3. Earthquaker Devices Monarch

My rig: Fender P, Ashdown ABM EVOII, Bergantino AE410

2. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

They seem pretty distinct to me and each have their merits, so, which ever you think sounds best? Of the three, the one I would buy for myself would be the Monarch.

3. low_E

low_E

how about all three... just because! You're not gonna really know if you like them unless you play with them despite what anyone tells you about them. If you don't use them sell em. We are lucky to live in a time of ebay. Also youtube to hear what sounds other people are getting. If you haven't seen fuzz wars check that out.

I just ordered an earthquaker devices terminal fuzz mostly because juan posting about geting curtis mayfield sound and a youtube clip I found with an official earthquaker post saying its the best bass fuzz they make (in their opinion). I need to see for myself!!! I figure if I don't like it I will sell it and lose maybe $20 but I think chances are low.

I also have been jonesing for a black arts toneworks pharaoh for a while... or better yet coven (which is pharaoh + black forrest). I'm gonna wait to catch one of their limited run deals unless a good used deal pops on ebay.

Nothing like a new pedal now and then to inspire me to play every day. I try to limit myself to one pedal per month. For fuzz/od I have been using aguilar agro which I really like especially when run after their octive pedal. I also have a vintage rat that I still like. It wasn't vintage when I bought it :)

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Tough one. I'm a Darkglass and Earthquaker fanboy, and JHS seems to make really great stuff.

So...it seems like you may be looking for a darker, more vintage voiced pedal since you chose those. The latest must have pedal for that is the Solidgold FX Beta. I'd buy that and a Darkglass and let them fight it out!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. back2thefuture

back2thefuture

definitely want a darker vintage sound. less fuzz and more
    drive. thanks for the tips so far. keep em coming!

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

If you play rock and metal, the darkglass vintage microtubes would be a good choice.

8. low_E

low_E

9. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

+1

10. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

I've A/B'd the Monarch with the current gen Catalinbread SFT and they sound very similar indeed, with the SFT having better low end retention. So if the Monarch is on your list you should definitely consider this one!

11. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

12. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Based on this description I would say Fuzzrocious new pedal Darkest Driving is worth a look. Definitely has a darker OD and with the added boost circuit that can be activated in front or after the effect is a pretty unique addition.

13. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Fairfield Barbershop will get you where you want to go.

14. Calexia13

Calexia13 Supporting Member

15. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

16. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

17. slapstick13

slapstick13 Supporting Member

Id have to say the dark glass vintage. I've gone through at LEAST a dozen overdrive/dist pedals over the last bunch of years and just recently got the vintage microtubes. Its without a doubt the best dirt pedal I've ever had. With my particular setup(fender American P deluxe/walkabout head/210av cabs) and new strings, it sounds on par or better than my favorite recorded bass tones from my fav bands. And I'm saying this well beyond the honeymoon phase (I've had it about 2 months now) and I really don't like to exaggerate, but it just has perfect dynamics, can add a little beef for mellower tones and do awesome grind when gain is pushed. Just my opinion ��