Which P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Swipter, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Swipter

Swipter

So I am considering a P bass as my third bass. I have a Fender Jazz and a Pedulla 5 string and feel this would round out the collection good as far as sound goes. The only thing is I have no idea which P bass to get....a 4 or 5 string and an American Standard or 62 RI. I do not know the sound differences in those two basses. I was considering 2012 models.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks

2. Kryptos

Kryptos

I would suggest playing a number of P's and picking the one YOU like.

3. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    This. The best way to to play every single one you can get your hands on. There are a million (well maybe not actually a million)tiny differences and only you can decide which P is the right one for you.

4. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

I've played hundreds and my money went to the 2012 American Standard P-Bass. The 57 and 62 RI, and the 2011 AmStd were very nice, but try a 2012 AmStd and make sure it is a 2012 and not 2011.

Enjoy!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Swipter

Swipter

Thanks for the tips.

7. mcm

mcm

Am standard 4 string. 08 or later

8. Kryptos

Kryptos

Going to the music store and playing a number of basses is a pleasant way to spend the afternoon.

9. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

The feel of "P" necks are different across different models. You should definitely try as many as you can find.

10. Anthony Barrett

Anthony Barrett

^^^^ This. I found the AVRI P bass necks uncomfortable for me personally, though I would have bought one on-line in a heartbeat based on looks / sound clips. It would have been a bad move without playing first.

The 2012Am. Standards sound wonderful. I had one with a bit of an iffy neck pocket that bummed me out. (I did buy on-line). So go play and have fun. The right one will call to you.

11. Swipter

Swipter

All good info. I just took the flats off my Jazz and went back to my Marcus Millers. Trying to imitate a P sound was working somewhat but I did not like the D string on the set I was using. It just did not sound right. I figure for a P sound get a P. I still have many sound options for my Jazz, which does sound equisite.