1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Which pedal makes my SS amp sound like a (cranked up) tube amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by H3R3T1K, Nov 4, 2013.

1. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

Hi all from Germany. Please go easy on me in case this has been asked before in one from or another. So I'm using a Warwick ProFet 500 Watt SS amp and FMC boxes 2x12 and 2x10 (small German manufacturer). Makes for a very clean/neutral sounding combination. I like it but sometimes I find myself wishing for a little more attitude or dirt when I dig into the strings harder. I'm not big on effects. So I thought I needed a fuzz pedal to always leave on. I got a Zoom B1 lying around (which I use only in case I'm playing some song that requires effects) and found the various overdrives were too much most of the time but I kinda discovered what I was looking for trying out the tube amp sims like Ampeg SVT and especially Marshall Bassmaster. So what do I need? A rolled off fuzz pedal or a tube preamp? Product recommendations?

I mostly play Rock and Metal using my fingers btw.

2. Veldar

Veldar

Inb4 darkglass. :p

But seriously a darkglass B7K can get some pretty convincing tube sounds.

3. sprag

sprag

Darkglass
    ebs valvedrive
    DHA VT or VT2 for a bit extra grunt
    Tech 21 VT

4. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

My favorite cheap pedal is the Hartke VXL. You should be able to buy one used for around $50. It's not for knob twisters. You have to find your sound and leave it there. But for an all-in-one occasional dirt box, it has not only the dirt, but an added thickness that you need with the dirt. It's not enough to simply preserve some bottom by bleeding off straight signal. Anyway that's how I hear it. The tube characteristic for me is thickness, and for any dirt pedal to claim tube characteristics, it has to re-create that thickness. This pedal is cheap to try, and if you don't like it, you can dump it for what you paid. This is my only effects pedal, and I'd never part with mine except I'm dumping everything I own to pay for a divorce. When looking for a solution, I start cheap and when I find a satisfactory answer, I stop right there. Times are too tight to be throwing money around for dubious advantage, you know?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Sansamp VT Bass gets a lot of love around here, and does an excellent simulation of an old Ampeg B-15 or SVT tube amp. The original Sansamp BDDI is also a good tube simulator with a different character, which you might or might not like better, and has the advantage that you can blend in as much or as little tube-iness as you like.

7. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

I'll have to save some money for the more boutique stuff and maybe import because what you guys pay in USD we pay in EUR. I'm a student so I'm kinda looking for a "bang for the buck" solution. Should've mentioned. 200 USD is max.

8. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Modded Digitech Bad Monkey is a good place to start. I also fancy getting a Biyang Blue drive aka GFS Bluesdrive pedal. It is a basic DOD 250 MXR Dist+ circuit. Mod it with bigger input and output caps and you might well have a bass monster.

I have the Hartke Attack VXL pedal but never warmed to it. For a distortion pedal it is very clinical and very scooped for my tastes.

9. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Fuzzrocioius Dark Driving is my current favorite for this type of sound.

10. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

I've read about the "clinical" aspect of the VXL as well.

11. Klausklaerwerk

Klausklaerwerk

12. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

It is great for taking the 'blanket off' of dull amps. It makes small combos sound good I suppose.

13. redhed

redhed TUBE LOVER! Gold Supporting Member

Catalinbread SFT pedal!

14. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

I just ordered a bad monkey to experiment with and will be saving for a Tech 21 VT. Still open for suggestions though. Thanks everybody.

BTW any recommendations on settings for the Bad Monkey to achieve the desired tone?

15. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Some guy on Ultimate Guitar stumbled across some bass-friendly mods;

Info on my Bad Monkey Mod's.. Enjoy!

16. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Catalinbread SFT for sure. That's what it's designed to do. Don't bother wasting time with a Bad Monkey.

17. godblender

godblender Supporting Member

Tech 21 VT and Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop were the first two that came to mind given your price range.

18. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, the Fairfield Barbershop.

19. H3R3T1K

H3R3T1K

Thanks a bunch guys. So many recommendations. Too bad I can't order many of the pedals from big German online retailers that have good return policies. For those I'll check youtube and the reviews on here. The Bad Monkey is just a temporary solution and something to tinker with.

20. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

Gotta have patience and work with it. It's got the goods.

21. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder