Which pickup, Carvin J99's or Seymour Duncan Basslines Jazz Bass Classic Stacks?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 77 StingRayBass, Nov 11, 2012.

1. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

I have a SX SJB-75, and I'm looking to upgrade pickups (Duncan Design Jazz bass from a VM Squire). I dig that Marcus tone, and I dig the tone of the Carvin SB Basses. BUT, which of these 2, the J99's or Seymour Duncan Basslines Jazz Bass Classic Stack Pickups are the best way to go?

2. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy Banned

DiMarzio Area J's :)

Carvin's will sound more like traditional Jazz pickups (like Marcus) but since they are single coil you'll have to deal with the hum.
    I have never used the J99's personally, but they are said to be way better than Carvin's other pickups...which I've never liked.

Stacks are humbuckers so they will be noise free. But since they are humbuckers they won't sound like Jazz pickups.

Area J's are noiseless, and sound like vintage Jazz pickups. Best of both worlds. Love them.

3. Handyman

Handyman

Keep in mind that the Carvin J99A pickups are the size of a standard Fender bridge J pickups, and there's only one size.

If the SX has a neck pickup that's the same as a Fender neck pickup, the Carvin isn't going to fit.

Great sounding pickups, though.

4. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

Thanks for the replies Gents!

5. Register to disable this ad