Which pickup for a Precision mod :)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MrWalker, Jan 4, 2014.

1. MrWalker

MrWalker

I got lucky and got a dirt cheap Asian '51 Precision knock-off at a really low price. The bass is actually not bad, the neck and body are worth hanging on to, but the pickup is pretty crappy.

So I am debating whether I should mod it into a Cabronita and route in a Filtertron pickup (or a TV Jones if I'm really gonna add money to it), or just upgrade the pickup with a Quarter pounder or something to that effect. This is unknown territory for me, however, as I have no experience with any of these pickups. The aim is to make a "rock'n'roll" and "old school" type Precision bass for those "retro" gigs that I play once every 15th year :D

So what should I pick?! Filtertron/TV Jones or keep the single-coil Telecaster vibe?

And if I go the last route, should I go for the Seymour Duncan Basslines Hot or Quarterpounder, or the Antiquity one?

Any thoughts and recommendations highly appreciated :hyper:

This is what the bass looks like now:
    [​IMG]

2. cnltb

cnltb

I'd stick with one pickup.

I am using a bassculture pickup on a 51' style P bass and can recommend it wholeheartedly.

3. MrWalker

MrWalker

I was gonna stick with one pickup, but if I go "Cabronita", I would have to widen the routing to accomodate a Filtertron or a TV Jones. So, keep the Telecaster look and feel, or go for something like this:
    [​IMG]

4. eots

eots

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Media:
    There was a thread somewhere of someone picking up a Rickenbacker pickup cover and pickup.. the big chrome job by the bridge. You'll get a single coil sound and have a very unique bass if you can play with that hunk of metal as a thumb rest.

7. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Rio Grande Muy Grande.

8. MrWalker

MrWalker

Cool ideas, guys :) I ordered a one music direct replacement as the guy in the Squier thread used, will see if that is a good improvement in itself. This is definitely a good test bed bass, it's got decent build quality and sounds nice dry, so maybe I should test different things in it :) first off, let's see the one music one. Then I guess anything could be tested :)
    I love the Rio Grande :)