Which pickup was in 2008 Fender Precision?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by GregT, Mar 17, 2014.

1. GregT

GregT

I had a 2008 American Fender Standard Precision. I was just wondering if anyone knew which pickups it had without any doubt. I just can't seem to find the exact answer anywhere. I really liked those pickups with TI Flats. I have a Lakland Duck Dunn coming. I am going to try the pickups in it first, but if they don't work for me, I want the Fender tone.

2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Should have been the 61276/7 set ... but when it comes to Fender, to say 'without a doubt' is probably not a good idea ... ;)

Edit to add: .. you also have to remember, 2008 was the transition year from American Series to the 'New' American Standard, so the pups should have stayed the same, but there is also a chance that the '08 you had was an AmSeries ... do you remember if it had an S-1 switch?

3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

near as I know, the best P pup Fender makes these days is the Original P, also known as the '62 Reissue.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They're called the American Standard pickups. You really liked it, eh? Wish I could say the same. Scoopiest P pickup I ever used. Sounded good at home but just disappeared in a mix. Replaced it with a 62 Original (better but still wasn't what I wanted), and now it has an EMG Geezer Butler P (exactly what I wanted). But if you really want one, it's the American Standard Series P. If it were me, though, I'd hold out for the Geezer...should be out very soon. Amazing sounding pickup.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GregT

GregT

My bass didn't have the S1 switch. I used to play Warpigs and Paranoid in a band. Although I don't play them any more, Paranoid actually has a great bass tone. Can the Geezer with TI flats still come up with a good Motown tone also? I still need a good clean, full, round, feeling sometimes.

I do still intend to at least give the P-4 Neopunch pickup a chance. Every description I have read talks about higher output and more upper mids. That doesn't sound like a very smooth tone to me.

7. GregT

GregT

The Original P gets a lot of good reviews. I really do just want good tone that changes when you attack it differently. I don't think I need a high powered pickup. I will be running it through an Ampeg B 100-R which will do the "work" part of it all.

8. GregT

GregT

Seriously, maybe that explains why I had to be too loud to really hear myself when we played? Hmmm.....

9. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

IMO, snag a Nordstrand NP4 or the EMG Geezer Butler's.

10. GregT

GregT

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I don't hear it as higher output, and the mids actually seem less obtrusive in the higher mid freqs and more evened out all the way across, though not scooped at all. And yes, I think it kills for Motown sounds. We do a bunch of Motown in my band, and I have absolutely loved it for that.

These are a couple recordings comparing the Geezer and the Fender 62 Original that used to be in my 09 AmStd Precision. Top one's the Geezer, bottom is 62 Original. I'm going to cut a track with the Geezer tomorrow using D'addario Chrome flats, but these are with D'addario XL rounds brand new, so the Motown doesn't sound quite authentic, but I think it gives you an idea.

And yes, I do believe the reason you had to be so loud is the scoopy AmStd pickup that came with the one bass ;) Sorry...not trying to poop on your tastes, but I couldn't wait to take it out of that bass. The 62 Original is a better pickup, but the Geezer's the bomb for me. Pickup tastes are very personal, but this one registers with me.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  12. GregT

GregT

Jimmy,
    When I wrote, "I do still intend to at least give the P-4 Neopunch pickup a chance. Every description I have read talks about higher output and more upper mids. That doesn't sound like a very smooth tone to me," I was meaning the Neopunch was getting those reviews, not the EMG's.

Thank you for the soundclips. I am looking forward to the flats. I don't really play a lot of Motown stuff, it is just the sound that I like. The song that really nails the tone I love is actually Brandy by Looking Glass. My 08 Precision through the B100R really seemed to get that tone well.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Oh, sorry ;) Not familiar with the Neopunch. Is that what comes stock on the Lakland you're getting? If it is, then I guess I am familiar a little bit. Couldn't really comment intelligently on it, though.

Anyway, I won't say that it's impossible to get a good sound out of the AmStd pickup. I struggled with it, but I made it work for the gigs I used it on. And the B100R is an awesome little combo amp that I wish they still made when I became an Ampeg endorser ;)

14. GregT

GregT

Got the B-100R today and put the TI flats on. Even with the Hanson Neo Punch pickup it is such a fantastic tone.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    WTG with the new amp!

16. acebase62

acebase62 Supporting Member

Those sound real good.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures: