1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Which Pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by joszjak, Jan 21, 2013.

1. joszjak

joszjak

Hello there!

Im really struggling...I have a mm stingray 5, and am after a new pickup. I go through a gk fusion 550 head, and a gk neo 512 cab. I play rock, folk, blues, and the other usual stuff. I know I may upset a few people here, but I have no interest in playing slap.

The only two I can find really, are the Seymour Duncan alnico, and the nordstrand 5.2. The only demos I can find for either are people playing slap.

Does anyone have any ideas about other pickups, or what might be decent for me?

Many thanks,

Dane

2. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

What don't you like about your current sound? It could be that a change in strings or EQ could give you what you're looking for.

3. giacomini

giacomini Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    I had the Seymour alnico, but it was the only MM style pickup in a bass that I owned.

Can't actually compare with stock MM pups, but the Seymours were great for everything, I had a series/parallel/"single coil" switch that gave me lots of options. It could be nasty, scooped, thin or boomy, very open and full-range sounding pickups.

4. joszjak

joszjak

I'm not sure really, something quite smooth, but still with balls...if that makes any sense. I was a guitarist, until our bassist left. I fancied a change, but I dont know much about anything!

And giacomini, I had a look at some of them on youtube, and to me it sounded a little cheap. I presumed that was down to the record quality though.

I just want something where people listening will say, wow, thats a nice bass tone. Im just not sure how to achieve that!

Thanks a lot,

Dane

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Cadfael

Cadfael

Hi Dane,

this explains a lot! :)
    I started as a drummer, after 9 years I came to the guitar and it took 20 years to find to the bass ...

Different strings make sound differences on a guitar. On a bass it can change the world ... :smug:

Roundwound, Half Round, Flatwound ...
    These strings make a totally differnt bass sound - and the brand and thickness offers innumerable possibilities ...

Have you already tried different types or brands of strings?
    Which ones did you like?

When you are no slapper but like a punchy bass sound with "bottom" (but still want a bit of brightness), try Half Round strings.
    A friend of mine has his d'Addario Half Rounds on his Precison since 19 years now. Very cost effective (even if they look expensive at the first time).

Can you describe which kind of bass sound you like? Maybe a bass player / band?
    John Entwistle (The Who) always played Roundwounds to get this metalic bright sound (without slapping). The Motown sound or Raggae are mostly played with Flatwounds. Also old Cream or Free songs.

What do you like? What do you want?

7. joszjak

joszjak

I LOVE the old Free bass sound, but maybe its not too suitable for what I need. It still needs to be quite versatile. Or maybe with a modern setup and flatwound strings it would make a nice medium?

Off the top of my head, I quite like stereophonics' and Frank Turner's bass sound. But maybe thats more down to production?

I'll kick off by getting myself to the shop and grabbing a set of half wound, and flat wound strings and have a tinkle with my amp settings.

Do you think this will be effective?

Thanks a lot,

Dane

8. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Oh yes. It's an excellent first start, and much cheaper and easier than changing pickups.

9. Cadfael

Cadfael

It RoundWOUND and FlatWOUND but HalfROUND ... :)

Don't buy both (flats and half) ...
    First try halfs and see if you want less high sound ...

For a 5 string bass the d'Addario Halfrounds ENR71-5 might be good?
    045-065-080-100-130 ...
    As half of the rounds are "cut", a 100 sting is like a 105 (or even more?) compared to a Roundwound set!
    http://www.daddario.com/DADMobilePr...tring_Bass__Regular_Light__45_130__Long_Scale

Take yourself some time to test the strings! Play with the tone knob on the bass (and amp). And test them some weeks!

Halfrounds need some weeks to loose some of their high tones - but then they sound the same for a VERY long time!
    The d'Addarios are a bit bright - so you can still play "modern" things". But at the same time, they have this flatwound punch (play with your EQ) ...

10. Cadfael

Cadfael

I forgot you have an active EQ ...

When you have the Halfrounds on ...
    Make a neutral EQ setting. If you want to get it more "smooth", cut the high tone until this is okay. If you want more punch, put a little bass in. But not, before you are contented with the smooth sound!

My favorite Andy Fraser bass sound:
    (I get very close to this sound with a $200 Squier Std. Jazz Bass with Fender Flatwounds)

But as you also need more more modern sounds, Halfrounds are the best compromise (I think) ...

And wait some weeks until the strings are "used"! Than you can spend years with the strings without changing them ...

11. joszjak

joszjak

Well thank you all very much for your help! I think I should have enough to go off there. I'll report back in a while with my findings :)

Thanks again,

Dane

12. joszjak

joszjak

I got my half-round strings on...they are amazing! Just what I was looking for! It took me a while to find somewhere who stocks a 5 string set, but I got there in the end!

I'm still thinking of maybe replacing the pickup with a nordstrom, and replacing the pots and electronics with a set (i cant remember who makes them) so I can choose between single coil and what not. I dont remember, but I remember seeing it briefly on another thread. This would be more out of curiousity though.

Does anyone know how this will affect the sound?

Thanks,

Dane

13. Cadfael

Cadfael

Hi Dane,

Sorry ...
    But first get used to your new strings ...
    And remember that gras isn't greener on the other side ...

But great, that the Halfrounds were a good suggestion/choice! :cool: