Which Preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mesaphlin, Mar 25, 2014.

1. mesaphlin

mesaphlin

Hello everyone,

I am about to purchase a preamp... but I cannot decide which one it will be..

(1) Avalon U5

or

(2) Marcus Miller Preamp

What would you buy if you were me?

:bassist:

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

U5 is a DI that can be used as a preamp, but isn't ideal. And it's WAY different from your other choice.

Why don't you actually tell everyone what you're looking for and what you want in a preamp.

3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

4. mesaphlin

mesaphlin

well I am a miller head (marcus miller fan)

I have a 77 jazz bass and I installed a john east onboard preamp and emg active pickups but I lost the original sound of the bass so I will bring the bass to the luthier again and make him reinstall the original state. But I need a preamp for make the sound active. I play mostly slap style.

So I need a preamp for my 77 JB. Normally, you would say get marcus miller preamp which is so logical but some folks told me that U5 is good too. I will connect it to my soundcard and make recordings into Logic.

:bassist:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

The U5 is indeed good, but if you're going for the Marcus Miller tone you should get the Marcus Miller preamp. Not that it'll automatically get you there, but it has a LOT more tweakability which will increase your chances.

7. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

Marcus miller doesn't even use his signature pre in his foh sound. I would suggest a Demeter tube DI or a ebs micro bass or something along those lines. I personally like rack mount sans amp (PSA,RBI,RPM) but i play rock and don't shoot for that sound.

8. dincz

dincz

If you're only going into a soundcard, why not a simple DI and do all the tone shaping with software plugins? Cheaper and much more flexible.

9. bassgod0dmw

+1. The Sadowsky DI/Pre is exactly what you want.

10. mesaphlin

mesaphlin

You think The Sadowsky DI/Pre is gonna give me the Marcus Sound from my 77 JB? Is it better tonewise (hotter I mean) than the U5?

:hyper:

11. dincz

dincz

The DI will simply act as an interface from bass to sound card. The tone can be adjusted in the computer.

12. Randyt

Randyt

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    There are so many good onboard Preamps out on the market..
    have you investigated:
    Pope
    East
    Audere
    Aguilar
    Bartolini
    FBASS...can be purchased as a pedal
    Sadowsky
    etc.

13. mesaphlin

mesaphlin

Actually, I was thinking also to get a Fractal Audio Axe FX II Rack Unit for my bass. But I have a question also

For instance... if I get the Axe Fx II, should I need a DI also?

Or just plug the bass into Axe FX II and then Axe FX II into the soundcard then shaping my sound inside of the Axe FX II with all those pedals etc...? Is it possible also?

Or Should I get a U5 or a Sadowsky DI and plug my bass into one of those DIs and then from DI to the Axe FX II then the Axe FX II into the soundcard will be okay too?

Kind of confused I know...!!!

:help:

14. bassgod0dmw

I think you should really take a deep breath and figure out what you need before you go and blow that kind of money.
    To answer your question, you wouldn't need a DI with the Axe II. You would just plug the bass into it, and it into your computer.

I can't say it's going to do that, or that it's better than a U5. You have to be the judge. I own both and like both. They do similar things. The Sadowsky is much smaller and cheaper, and has actual tone shaping controls. The U5 is more of a studio tool and has presets. I will say that Marcus Miller's famous J bass is around the same vintage as yours and was modded by Roger Sadowsky a long time ago with his onboard preamp.

I'm a big advocate of "tone is in your hands" so getting Marcus Millers tone is more of an exercise of trying to figure out exactly how he plays. Where his hands sit on the bass, where he plucks the strings, how hard he plucks, etc. Nothing you purchase is going to give you that.

The one I suggested is also a Sadowsky preamp.

15. mesaphlin

mesaphlin

Thank you and the other people so much who were so kind to answer my questions for help. I really appreciate it.

:)