1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Which Precision do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrWalker, Jan 6, 2014.

Which Precision bass is your favourite?

Poll closed Jan 8, 2014.
  1. 51 Precision w/single coil

20 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Standard Precision

135 vote(s)
    61.6%
  3. Cabronita Precision

6 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. Some other Precision spin-off

43 vote(s)
    19.6%
  5. Not Precision at all...

15 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. MrWalker

MrWalker

I'm going through a Precision period right now. It is the instrument I started out on back in the early 80s, but I've been playing other instruments for the most part over the last 30 years. But recently I've been getting more fascinated with the Precision again. And I'm a little curious... there are a few different models around these days, mainly the "standard" P, the 51 P with the single coil (Telecaster), and the recently added Cabronita version as well.
    However, the only one I've got any experience with, it the standard P with the split pickup.

And there are some Precision spin-offs, such as Billy Sheehan's Yamaha Attitude, and the other Telecasters.

Which is your favourite, and why? :)

1) The 51 P bass single coil pickup
    [​IMG]
    2) The "standard" Precision bass
    [​IMG]
    3) The Cabronita with the Fidelitron pickup
    [​IMG]
    4) Some other strange P variation :)
    [​IMG]
    5) Some other bass all together :D
    [​IMG]

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

I like the Standard P best.

3. DionClassic

DionClassic

Should throw the deluxe in there too!

4. Lo-E

Lo-E

I love my '51 reissue. Really a lot.

BUT.... it's pretty hard to beat a regular ol' P-bass. My standard Ps get gigged a lot more than my '51 RI. It's an industry standard for a reason!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

2 or 4. I like a regular ol' P, but I also like the ATT-LTD II quite a bit. I own both of them. I gig the regular P's a lot. It's hard to get a bad sound out of them and they are so simple.

If I owned no P basses right now, I'd be looking at a Lakland or Lull. Nothing wrong with Fender, I just prefer the neck on a Lakland by a mile.

7. MrWalker

MrWalker

Yeah, I guess... :)
    See, I'm pretty outdated on the topic :-D

8. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

I am also going through a precision phase and I got myself a Special Precision, I realy like everything about it.

9. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I have two 60th Anniversary Precisions and a 72 Tele. (Which I would call a variant.)

I voted P bass variant.

[​IMG]

I forgot the why.

My 60th Anniversary Ps are may favorites. I really like the American Standard, but also want something that is slightly different. These fill that for me.

10. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

Standard P, no matter who makes it, works best for me.

11. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

Standard P with J bridge pup. Why: versatility. But I've been bonding with my 69 Tele single coil. If I was in a blues band, that's what I'd be going to.

12. Jutsushine

Jutsushine Gold Supporting Member

I played a Cabronita at my local guitar shop. I found it very comfortable to play and it had a nice warm tone. However I prefer it over the traditional p bass mostly because of the look. I love the headstock, pickguard and I prefer the mini humbucker look over the split coil. It's a cool solid little bass if you can get it on sale.

13. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

man, I voted before seeing the pictures, can I change to some other bass all together?

14. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

MIM Classic 50s. Black, maple neck and gold anodized guard. These guards eliminate the only issue I have with a precision-the cracking of the guard @ the input jack.

15. pfox14

pfox14

If I was in the market for a P-bass, I would definitely get a 51 RI' Love that old school look.

16. BassKnuckles

BassKnuckles Supporting Member

standard. but that dusty hill furball IS pretty sweeeeeet

17. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

Please check my avatar. It is a G&L Legacy P bass. Also have a SB-2 that is my go to bass right now.

18. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

I have a '51 RI, a Classic '50s and an AVRI '57. I gigged for several years with the '50s, but currently the '51 has won my heart. I'm playing in a small combo, not very loudly, with two sisters who sing, my lady friend on percussion and a good friend playing a Carvin SH550 with single-coil pickups. This is a sweet-sounding ensemble.

If we were playing louder, more rock-style, I'd go back to the '50s.:bassist:

19. MrWalker

MrWalker

To those who have tried them, how does the 51P and the Cabronita compare?

20. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

The single-coil precision pickups have a beautiful sound, but I prefer the split-p. I think the reason is that I like the inherent peaks in its response. I can hear the split-p better in a mix. I voted for 'precision spin-off' because my favorites are made in-house at the Dingwall shop.

[​IMG]

21. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction Supporting Member

I play these two pbasses with great frequency. It's a 2007 Highway One with the neck from a 2011 MIJ 70s P and vice versa. (but now theres a tort pg and ashtrays on the SB). does that count as standard?
    [​IMG]