Which Radial DI?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rip Topaz, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I'm looking for a DI box to run my preamp into for live use.
    My signal chain is iOS based, and I need a good (great) DI for the end of the chain.
    I'm looking at the Radial boxes because I've used them in church and they're the best I've heard, but there's a ton of them to choose from.

In the $1-200 price range, there's a bunch. Anyone got a recommendation?

I play passive basses only.
  2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Preamp, you say? An external preamp, like the Sadowsky outboard?

If so, a passive DI - like the Radial JDI - should do the trick:

Radial JDI

If/when you play your passive basses without the preamp, an active DI is what you want. The Radial JDV fits the bill perfectly. :smug:

Radial JDV

MM
  3. MrDOS

MrDOS Gold Supporting Member

Nailed @ 1st reply :)
  4. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Now, lets throw a wrench in that.
    Will the active DI be ok with the pre, I would rather buy one that'll work for both situations.

Here's my chain:
    Passive P bass-->Jamup iOS (iPhone 4S as bass effects and amp sim, yes it works great)--> DI

So when I go without the effects, an active DI is best, but will the active handle the preamp for those gig when I use it?

EDIT: I checked out the specs of the JDV, and it looks like the one. Thanks!!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Actually, after looking at the different models available, either the Pro48 or the J48(I've used these at church and they sounded great) look like they're more in line with my needs.

Anyone have any experience with either the Pro48 or J48 and can tell me the differences or which is better for bass?
  7. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

^^^This. JDI or JDV are the shiznit.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They will all handle anything. The active/passive thing is merely a suggestion, and is certainly not a rule of law. I've used active DI's with active basses many times, and it works just fine. And so do passive basses with passive DI's, though there might be some high end loss if you use long instrument cabling.
  9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Ok, so has anyone used the JPC? It's made for laptops and iPads, which is what my preamp is. I'd like to get one that'll work for the times I don't use my iOS device as well, not sure the connections on the JPC will allow that, though.

Sorry for so many redundant questions, I'm just trying to sift through so much info on Radial's site.
  10. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    Its really hard to beat the clarity of the JDV
  11. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Maybe, but $400 is double my budget.
  12. TonyP-

Media:
    Disclosures:
  13. TonyP-

Media:
    Disclosures:
    +1
    Active basses with Active DIs all the time.
  14. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Thanks. That's what I played through when I play at church. Just wanted to make sure it was the best one for the job I'm gonna throw at it.
  15. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

JDI will work great. I've used it with passive basses and it sounds pretty transparent. Hitting it a little harder with a preamp and you start to hear a little warmth. It's passive so you don't need batteries and you can use it in situations where phantom power isn't available.

Really it comes down to what you like the sound of. Can you rent first to check out some different ones?
  16. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Probably not. Unless I can find some samples of the different models online, that's about my only shot at hearing them first.
  17. Swipter

Swipter

So I have read these before about the redial di and am confused. I have an active and passive bass. If I wanted to use both at a set would I need to buy two different redial di's as plugging in to one will not work.
  18. pbass2

pbass2

Ya sure can't go wrong having a JDI in your arsenal. Aside from never leaving the house w/o it for a bass gig, I used mine for a while playing midi controller/laptop/Mainstage keyboards/audio interface (used it in the mode where you can run a stereo signal in and mono out which was fine for this particular scenario--I never knew how many channels I was gonna get so I gave 'em mono!). Worked great.
    Oh, and it sounds great for bass.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Whoever told you that is just parroting something they once read in a magazine. A good DI is a good DI is a good DI, and the potential high end loss you might get from running a passive bass into a passive DI is something your dog might notice, but it hardly makes a difference in the long run unless you're exceptionally anal about having as much treble in your FOH tone as you possibly can. So no, you don't need two DI's.
  20. cybersnyder

cybersnyder Always groove.... Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Xsonics cabinets
    Check out this video for the JDI:

21. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Gold Supporting Member

IME, you overstate the case. The JDI's input impedance is only 10K, and you don't have to be a dog to hear what that does.

My active basses sound the same through my JDI, or plugged straight into an amp. But my AV '62 sounded noticeably darker when it was plugged into the JDI. I love my JDI, but I didn't like it with the Fender.

I'm not saying that the rolloff is necessarily a bad thing, but if you can't hear it, you're either running your passive basses with the tone control rolled back, or you've got hearing trouble.