1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which replacement drivers are best?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by moyne, Dec 19, 2012.

1. moyne

moyne

Repost from live sound...

I am lucky enough to have a friend who is giving me two 2x12 Mills Acoustic Afterburner cabs. All I need to do is put new drivers in them!
    I use a passive Birdsong Corto and a Musicman stingray and either an Ashdown Superfly 500 or an Ashdown mag 300.
    I want to make two 8 ohm cabs cable of handling up to 300-400 watts each.
    So what do ya think? Which drivers should I go for? Really need a steer here, guys.
  2. Tuned

Tuned

Eminence Basslites are the standard for efficient lightweight drivers, reasonably priced too. But the cabs are tuned to the original speaker, you'll be best to find original replacements.
  3. moyne

moyne

Thanks for that. Have sent request for info to Mills Acoustics.... Just wondered about alternatives that won't require me to sell a kidney!
  4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The need for 4 or 16ohm drivers is going to limit your choices considerably. From the Eminence line, the Delta12LFC is a good bass performer although spl is a little low. The Delta12B would have more spl and more topend response, although xmax is on the low side for strong bass.

Pricey, but I believe the Faital 12PR300 and a couple of their other models are available in 4 ohms. Good fullrange drivers.

More in a budget, MCM and parts express Dayton brand might have something suitable.

More info is needed for more detailed recommendations. Type/power of amp, PA support if any, general tone and volume goals and more detailed info on the cabs.
  5. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    OK, your amp info is there, so you will require 4 or 16ohm individual drivers.
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    4ohm Black Widows may be another option. Really need the size and port tuning of the cabs.
  7. craig.p

craig.p

Wow. Don't go out to their web site. Siteadvisor's tagging it as malicious:

[​IMG]
  8. darius8

darius8

9. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Other way 'round on the wiring, but yeah.

OP...should also probably include some sort of budget. It's always fun spending other peoples money.:D
  10. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    +1 on measure up the cabs and post. Throw up some examples of tones you are after too.
  11. darius8

darius8

OOPS, my bad. If you get two 4 ohms speakers, wire them in series. If you get two 16 ohms, wire them in parallel

Thanks WILL
  12. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    So does Norton.

Edit: I ignored the warning and looked at the cabs. The only 2x12s I saw are guitar cabs.
  13. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I would email Dave at Avatar with all the Details & Dimensions. He'll hook you up with some Neo's for a great price. Any Crossovers involved?
  14. moyne

moyne

Big thank you to will33, darius8, mr foxes, wcriley and NYCbassist...great info.
    The cabs ARE guitar cabs, which will mean less size/volume than the equivalent bass cab... But beggars can't be choosers. I'm in Saudi Arabia so choice is always very limited and shipping equipment is expensive.
    Because of shipping costs I really need to limit the price of a single driver to around $100 if possible.... But if there really is a 'perfect' replacement I could stretch to more.
    I play 'Dad' rock blues with a little funk if I'm lucky. I would like a full fat bottom end sound with clear mids.
    I currently use a Marshall DBS 4x10... And it's awful! I borrow a Marshall 2x15 to augment it, and that really fills out that bottom end. I've just acquired an 8 ohm Eden Nemesis 1x15. So really need another 2x10 or 2x12 to augment the Eden.... Then my buddy offered me the two Mills guitar cabs.... What am I to do but say thanks, then figure out how to take advantage of them!
  15. Tommy Nat

Tommy Nat Supporting Member

Email the guys at mills. Ask them if its even worth it to convert it to a bass cab. My guess is probably not, but I'm no expert on this stuff. If you're aiming at spending $100 per driver, you might be better off investing that money in a used 810 or 4x12.
  16. moyne

moyne

Thanks Tommy Nat. Have emailed Mills Acoustics and am waiting for the response.