1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which replacement speakers for Goliath Jr II?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Rusty the Scoob, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Rusty the Scoob

Rusty the Scoob

I have an SWR Goliath Jr II that needs speakers. The originals are expensive and hard to find. What else works well in these? Anything in a Neo would be even better.

This is the same age as the cab in question, with the diagonal grill:

[​IMG]

I'd also consider moving the speakers from my Super Redhead into the Goliath Jr and putting new ones in my Redhead. Neos would be great in that, shaving 10-15 lbs off that thing would make a huge difference.
  2. Rusty the Scoob

Rusty the Scoob

Looks like the most popular choices for Redheads are the Basslite S2010 and Deltalite II 2010, which curiously is not on Eminence's website. Anyone A/B these? or have a 3rd option?
  3. melodicly

melodicly

I too had this same problem but just sold the cab. SWR told me what the orignals are and they were around 250-300 for the pair. PAS I believe. There are free programs out there that allow you to enter the internal dimensions of the cab and find the best speaker for it. I think your redhead speakers would work fine though and a redhead with neos would be a pretty sweet deal.
  4. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

I concur.

I'd put the PAS in the 2x10 and get the Deltalite II for the redhead.
  5. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

The Deltalite II is there - it's the 2510, not 2010, and you have to click on pro drivers, then the neodymium box........
  6. B String

B String Supporting Member

I used to live near SWR and had my gear fixed there. I once
    blew a speaker in my Golliath Jr II. I took it over to SWR.
    I found out that they used three or four different 10's at that
    time depending on the application. They were very particular
    about the speaker specs matching the box specs.
    If SWR still has a direct replacement for that box, you might
    want to give it a try.
  7. Rusty the Scoob

Rusty the Scoob

I trust the real SWR guys (not the new Fender owners) but $5-600 for speakers for an old 2x10 cab is a bit steep.

I'm leaning towards the Deltalites. Cutting that amp down from 90 lbs to 70-75 lbs would be pretty sweet.
  8. john m

john m Supporting Member

check you pm
  9. B String

B String Supporting Member

I thought you have a JR II. My box was 55lbs. Maybe SWR
    still has the specs on that box. Perhaps I'm being overly
    picky here but I've made the mistake in the past of replacing
    a stock speaker with something else that fit, and ended up
    spending a lot of money on something that didn't work well.
  10. Rusty the Scoob

Rusty the Scoob

I have a Redhead with reconed PASs, that have kind of a crackle since the recone. Almost sounds like a trumpet whose spit valve needs to be emptied. It's not bad enough to be noticeable on stage but played solo it's definitely there. I also have a Goliath Jr II that has total crap speakers in it... so if I bought a pair of 10"s I could experiment.

Normally I agree that the original speakers are always best, but so far nobody seems unhappy with any of the good Eminence replacement 10"s loaded into SWR cabs.

Ideally I'd like to try running the G Jr on top of the Redhead, standing up, as a further stage monitor for myself as well as to sound bigger and a little louder on stage.