Which Roscoe..?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Farley, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Farley

Farley Supporting Member

I am looking to possibly purchase my first Roscoe. I have been looking at the following two and am wondering if anyone might be able to share any insight on either.

The first is at Gelb and has a lacewood top over ash with the traditional Bartolini pickups and pre:

http://gelbmusic.com/p-3264-roscoe-skb-3005-lacewoodswamp-ash.aspx

The other is at Rocket Music and has a buckeye burl over mahogany with an Aguilar pre and pickups:

http://www.rocketmusic.net/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=5740

I'm familiar with the "Roscoe sound" and it's a sound that I really like. I know it's difficult to say without actually playing each but are there any Roscoe aficionados, or Gard, around who may be able to speak to the tonal differences between the two?

2. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

If you want a bass that will be able to get really aggressive in the mids go with the Rocket. If you want a bass with less mids and more round sounding go with Gelb.

Gelb has the swamp ash which is going to accent the upper mid, the lace wood is not as bright as maple so the upper mids will not be harsh and the wenge fingerboard will help with the slightly lower mids sounding smooth.

Rocket has the mahogany body which will naturally add compressed mid, the buckeye top is so thin I don't think it is going to have any effect on the tone. The aguilar pickups and preamp are pretty aggressive in the mids which will give a higher mid on top of the compressed tone and low mids of the mahogany body. The Wenge fingerboard will help smooth the upper mids

3. Farley

Farley Supporting Member

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.