Which Rush album should I learn next?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by gfdhicool, Jan 19, 2014.

1. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

Moving Pictures is relatively easy (especially Tom Sawyer,Witch Hunt,and Vital Signs).The only songs I had a bit of trouble with were Limelight and Red Barchetta.YYZ was something I perfected 1-2 months ago and now it's my warm up song lol.
    The Camera Eye is just too boring,I can't memorize most of it because I feel like falling asleep whenever I play it.

Anyways,learning all of Moving Pictures really isn't much to brag about...since many songs just took an hour to perfect (I did 1 song per day)

Which Rush album should I play now? Recommend me their most difficult and frustrating one please.
  2. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

If it only takes you an hour to learn an entire Rush song, why not take the next month to learn their entire discography? Start at the first album and work your way up.
  3. dabaumtravis

dabaumtravis

Counterparts has some nice bass work, especially "Leave That Thing Alone" and "Alien Shore."
  4. gfdhicool

gfdhicool

Unfortunately,I only have Rush's classic era on cd (2112,A Farewell to Kings,Hemispheres,Permanent Waves,and Moving Pictures).
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

Hemispheres :bassist:
  7. Bass_Nishi

Bass_Nishi

Learn them all
  8. XXL

XXL Custom User Title Supporting Member

I would suggest Signals, but since you don't have that one.. A Farewell To Kings.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

As much as Farewell to Kings is my favourite, Hemispheres has much more difficult works, La Villa Strangiato is subtitled an exercise in self-indulgence for crap's sake.
  10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

+1

:bassist:
  11. jeff5311

jeff5311

12. Presto2112

Presto2112

Hemispheres
  13. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris

One interview I saw with the band said they had to record La Villa in parts because they couldn't get it all together in one take. At the time they didn't realize how complex of a song they had written.

Give that a whirl. And as others have said.........the Hemispheres album.
  14. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris

That's crazy. Never gave this song that much of a deep listen. Love the tone and Geddy's phrasing.
  15. pfox14

pfox14

2112 is my fav Rush album. I would try to learn that one. BTW I am impressed that you can play YYZ. Always had difficulty with that one.
  16. eriky4003

eriky4003

Out of the Rush material you have available to you, I'd say Hemispheres would be the toughest. Good luck!