1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Which Schecter do you prefer and why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by turdman, Feb 6, 2013.

?

Which of the Two Newer Schecter do you like?

1. BlackJack ATX

16 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Hellraiser Extreme

21 vote(s)
    13.1%
  3. Not really a Fan of them both!

115 vote(s)
    71.9%
  4. They are both Awesome!

8 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. turdman

turdman

Which Schecter do you prefer? I just bought the BlackJack ATX. My buddy has a Hellraiser Extreme. To me I liked the blackjack better hence why I purchased it. The Hellraiser is also really nice though! However, I am curios to see what everybody else has to say since my knowledge is minimal.

BlackJack ATX
    http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Bass/Blackjack-ATX-C-5.aspx

Hellraiser Extreme
    http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Bass/Hellraiser-Extreme-5.aspx

Thank you for participating in the vote!
  2. mogpipe

mogpipe

Looked em both over in the catalogue, and it's BJATX for me. I have a C4 and dig that body style, the BJ is in the c4 family to me.
  3. turdman

turdman

That is true the C-4 is a beautiful bass as-well. I saw a lot of people online were confused about which one to go with. Figured maybe a poll would help individuals who are having the same issues pick one.
  4. mogpipe

mogpipe

Both are great looking bass's. How's the BJ working out for you? Dish, dude,...dish! (get specific, want to know).
  5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

The only schecters that I like are the ones with the 3 band preamp, and 5 strings.
  6. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Neither, really. I dig the body shape, but the overall presentation just looks way too over-the-top and cluttered, especially with the Hellraiser (actually used to have a Hellraiser guitar, fell out of love with it as soon as I stopped being a dumb 16-yr-old). Also, I've played very similar models before and I just cannot get along with the tone. Very nasally, twangy midrange, sort of sounds like a 1 pup Stingray with all the meatiness gutted out of it. The 2 MM 'bucker equipped model sounds much better to my ears. This: http://www.schecterguitars.com/Products/Bass/Damien-Elite-5.
    is something I can get along with a little better. Still a little too much going on visually, but it's a bit toned down in comparison and has my preferred MM/MM configuration.
  7. Wallace320

Wallace320

Lead guitar player in my thrash metal band plays Nevermore's Jeff Loomis Floyd Rose 7 and 6 stringers

Down to me, the bass player, I appreciate Schecter especially in somebody else's hands:scowl:

Cheers,
    Wallace
  8. Cartman86

Cartman86

9. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

10. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

11. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Disclosures:
    Tone Bastards Cables
    I like the Black Jacks looks, fingerboard and pickups a lot more. Schecter makes a great bass for the money. My favorite will always be my Robert DeLeo sigs in the mary kaye finish.
  12. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

Schecter doesn't do it for me. Feels like a cheaper version of Ibanez. just my opinion, and I like my ibanez.
  13. turdman

turdman

Wow well I guess 56 "don't like its" must mean something haha. Call me crazy, but I just switched from an Ibanez to one of these basses and I like it a lot more! It was an SR505 that I switched from. Ibanez are good basses though no doubt about it. I just felt more jazz/country/funk with the Ibanez when I am more of a rock/metal guy.
  14. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I voted Hellraiser. Aesthetically, they're very similar looking, and I like the looks of them both. I've never played either of them, which would be the real test for me. Based on specs, the tie-breaker was 5-piece maple/walnut neck vs. 3-piece mahogany. I just feel the former would be more stable. I can't prove that scientifically, but if it were my money, I'd get to have my irrational assumptions too.

OTOH, I don't really care for the inlays on the Hellraiser, but that's a small gripe.
  15. turdman

turdman

sorry for the late response mogpipe I just noticed your comment. Alright so this is from an as unbiased opinion as possible that I can give. The Bass looked great and I liked the BO Pick ups, the tuners, the mahogany wood, the string through bass bridge. The day I picked it up at GC I had every employee and person around come over and take a look at it and say "wow that is really nice!" It looked 10 time better in person. I got the satin finish and it is really soft, feels awesome. It also goes all the way up the ebony neck which helps grip it. I heard people say the neck is fat like a baseball bat, but I have small hands and I found it to be pretty thin. I think the hellraisers is thicker. The sound is much better then my Ibanze that I had and I love the sound it gives off. (Sound on terms of hard rock/metal). The PU let you hit a really nice low growly B, but you can adjust the tune to just about anything that you want. IT doesn't sound compressed or anything and the sound is extremely clear!
  16. turdman

turdman

Honestly it was the Seymour Duncan Black outs that won me over. I have not played or had the chance to use the hellraiser so I cannot say how the feel and play differ. However, like I said I have exchanged 3 basses so far at GC that were in the 600-800 dollar range, I will be keeping this one. Funk, Jazz, Country and anything near it I would def pick a different bass and brand. If you want to SLAP it is extremely bad for slap. I don't slap so no issue for me.
  17. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I think they just have an image problem. My perception of Schecters was always that of an entry-level teenage metal guitar. Then I got GAS for an 8-string. None of my local shops had one, so I had to order from the interweb. I based my decision on features and online reviews, and ended up getting the Stiletto Studio 8. This has changed my entire perception of Schecters, to the point that I'm actually GAS-ing for a Diamond P Custom 5. I love the idea of a 5-string PJ with that classic look, at that price point.
  18. ThirtyOver

ThirtyOver

Currently upgrading a Schecter Omen Extreme with Emg 40 Dcx and 40P5x's with the BQC control. Heard several Schecters and some reason they all sound very damn similar. Hopin my upgrade gets rid of that "nasely mid range" as someone put it.
  19. ThirtyOver

ThirtyOver

Btw Ive always liked the Blackjack...w/ Black finish of course. Just needs 3 bands and I am sure I could convince my wife to let me sell one of the kids for it.
  20. turdman

turdman

I agree with you ThirtyOver! I kept saying if it had 3 bands it would be a dream! I am not sure why they don't do it. Once it comes out I will be trading this one in for it no doubt about it! The Bass is Amazing I played Metallica on it and it sounded so good! With my SR505 it came no where near that sound. Again the SR505 is a great bass, just wasn't the sound I was looking for. I do recommend the bass to anybody to at least try it out! If you hold it in real life you will not think its a cheap piece of garbage! I hear you on the Nasal sound, that's why I went with the Black Outs.